none
OleDb.Connection -- Index Server -- Visual Studio 2008 -- 'Format of the initialization string does not conform...' error RRS feed

• Question

• First - apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but it appears that there is no better place.

Issue: When trying to establish an OleDbConnection using the MS Indexing Service, the following error is returned: "Format of the initialization strin does not conform to specification stating at index 0." The error is generated from C# ASP.NET 2.0 Framework in Visual Studio 2008 at the following stack call: System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions.GetKeyValuePair(...)

All of the configuration and testing of Index Server is being conducted on a Window 2003 R2 Server and running VS 2008 in debug mode on the same server.

The connection string definition and assignment follow:

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection oConn = new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection();

oConn.ConnectionString = "Provider= \"MSIDXS\";DataSource=\"Guides\";";

The error is generated when setting the ConnectionString property/value.

I have tried all permutations of the Provider/DataSource formatting - use of no quotes; use of single quotes; and use of MSIDXS.1 as the Provider.  I have reviewed information in http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/d4e4d81a-f1b4-468f-b758-1522a2ccd790/ - the registry values are present.

So what is needed is the proper formatting to connect to the Indexing Service.

Additionally, if I directly user the "Query the Catalog" function from the Indexing Service everything works fine, as I would expect it to - but there is no way to view an source information on the query form to validate the configuration from with Visual Studio 2008.

O/S Information:

Indexing Server version: 5.2.3790.3959

Windows Server 2003 R2 version: 5.2 R2 (Build 3790.srv03_sp2_gdr.100216-1301: Service Pack 2)

Any recomendations would be appreciated,

James Putnam

• Moved by SamAgain Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:51 AM better fit (From:.NET Base Class Library)
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:31 PM

Answers

• Hi probably you did nothing wrong, but the connection string 'Data Source' part should be seperate from each other. like the following sample:

oConn.ConnectionString = "Provider= \"MSIDXS\";Data Source=\"Guides\"";

This is the correct way it should be.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:14 PM