On-screen keyboard has disappeared!

Question

• So my on-screen keyboard seems to have permanently disappeared - it doesn't show up when selecting text inputs, or even on the login screen!  This is very annoying as it means I have to use my wireless keyboard just to enter my password/PIN to log in to Windows.  Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is it happening on other Win8 touch devices, or only on the Samsung tablet?

I looked for some control panel settings to see if I'd disabled it but couldn't find any... Am I just being an idiot?! :)

Cheers, Chris

Sunday, December 4, 2011 2:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• So my on-screen keyboard seems to have permanently disappeared - it doesn't show up when selecting text inputs, or even on the login screen! This is very annoying as it means I have to use my wireless keyboard just to enter my password/PIN to log in to Windows. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is it happening on other Win8 touch devices, or only on the Samsung tablet?
    This happened to me on my Acer Iconia W500, but it started working again after I did a complete shut down and restart.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 5:43 PM
  • There is another thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/cc5f4535-2777-4f98-8926-7fba4190c324/

in the Windows Developer General OS forum that has the same issue.

I suggest you follow the suggestions for a clean boot to see if there is any software that is causing the problem as well as sending feedback on this issue on the Connect website.

I am also moving this to the Windows Developer Preview: General OS issues.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 9:45 PM