none
CNG certificate for SSL connection to SQL Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

my "CA" Admin told me that he will change the root-ca to CNG only in the near future. I tried to use these CNG certificates (customized request) to secure our client to SQL Server 2016 connection but SQL Server 2016 doesn't accept these CNG certificates, only legacy type seems to work.

Is there any workaround so that our clients can use "encrypted connection" with a CNG created certificate for SQL 2016? or other way round: How to install a CNG certificate into SQL 2016 :)

Regards

Jens

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 11:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Jens,

Thank you for your post.

Regarding CNG certificate  for SSL connection to SQL Server 2016, I would recommend you submit it to Microsoft Connect. This connect site will serve as a connecting point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the large community for you and Microsoft to interact with. Your feedback enables Microsoft to offer the best software and deliver superior services, meanwhile you can learn more about and contribute to the exciting projects on Microsoft Connect.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Hannah

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Hannah Yu Wednesday, October 25, 2017 4:59 AM edit
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 4:51 AM
  • Hi Hannah,

does this mean that this forum is dead? I was hoping for an answer like "yes, it's possible" or "no, it's not"... But whenever something is asked, a Microsoft Member writes something that has nothing to do with the topic :(

I don't want to be member of thousands of forums and blogs. I want one single point where I can ask a question and get an answer. Or maybe start a discussion. But sending me to another forum is not what I really want. For this I have Google (and not Bing, because Bing doesn't give answer either!)

Regards

Jens

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 5:33 AM
  • Hi Jens,

At this moment, we couldn’t found any definitive information regarding CNG SSL certificate supportability on SQL Server 2016 either internally or externally, please consider submitting a feedback on Microsoft Connect site as the site is monitored by the product team so you could get a clearer answer there.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Hannah

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 6:53 AM
  • Hi Hannah,

Thanks for the quick reply and for the clarification on this topic. Your second answer makes much more sense to me, hence the other forum seemed a little outdated...

I will try my luck within the other forum then :)

Thank you!

Jens

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 6:59 AM
  • Hi Jens,

Thanks for your understanding. Hope you’ll get your answer there.

Regards,

Hannah

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:03 AM