IIS10 Classic ASP 32-bit Application Pool Size Limit RRS feed

• Question

• User-780493421 posted

Hello Folks,

I'm still running old VB Applications. Recently the site started to get stuck during peak hours. Seems that the app pool is pilling up requests and not processing them. I'm running Server 2016, the application pool is set for 32-bit. Does anyone know what is the Maximum Private and/or Virtual Memory Size Limit in this configuration? Is there any tool that can answer this? As i remember correctly under IIS6 it was maximum of 2GB and 3GB could be enabled with an option. I'm not sure how it works under 64 bit OS. Any help greatly appreciate it.

Michael.

Friday, April 17, 2020 11:52 AM

All replies

• User-460007017 posted

Hi rusoo7,

There's only one "Private memory limit" in application pool decide the maximum amount of private memory a worker process can cosume before causing the application pool to recycle.

If you need to figure out the root cause, then please install IIS worker process monitor and check what's the status of your current requests. You need to find what handler are they pending.  You may also need to analyze the process dump snapshot. We would know what configuration could fix this only when we are able to find the exception.

In IIS, you can only allow more concurrent requests in request filtering and IIS limit.

Best Regards,

Jokies Ding

Monday, April 20, 2020 3:05 AM
  • User-780493421 posted

Hi rusoo7,

There's only one "Private memory limit" in application pool decide the maximum amount of private memory a worker process can cosume before causing the application pool to recycle.

If you need to figure out the root cause, then please install IIS worker process monitor and check what's the status of your current requests. You need to find what handler are they pending.  You may also need to analyze the process dump snapshot. We would know what configuration could fix this only when we are able to find the exception.

In IIS, you can only allow more concurrent requests in request filtering and IIS limit.

Best Regards,

Jokies Ding

Hello Yuk Ding,

Appreciate your input. However, the question was not how to reset the app pool when it reaches certain size. I have already process monitor installed and been monitoring for sometime now. There is no pattern as to what part of our code is invoked when it get stuck. The only things that's in common is its peak hours and tons of traffic. I've solved the issue by adding a couple of more IIS Servers. I guess the real question will never be answered.

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 12:36 PM