VS2008 SP1 - VSShell + VsPackage Bypass Experimental Hive registration RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way I can bypass the experimental hive registration for my VSPackages? 

I have a Solution with a VSShell project, with about 18 VSPackages.  Every time I build, it registers into the experimental hive, even though when the VSShell executable runs, it doesn't actually use the experimental hive, I've got it running under it's own hive.  I believe the VSShell sets up the packages because of the Shell Dependency settings, at the end of the build.

It takes quite a while to perform the registration for some of the packages (the MPF package for example), so I'm just trying to find a way to improve things.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 5:25 PM

Answers

• Hi FBNitro,

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know, there is no options to stop registering to experimental hive.

MSBuild register VSpackage to experimental hive in Microsoft.VsSDK.targets,

you can find a target

Target Name="VsTemplatePathsTarget"
              DependsOnTargets="$(VsTemplatePathsTargetDependsOn)"
              Condition="'$(DeployVSTemplates)'=='true'">

<VsTemplatePaths RegistryHive="$(VSSDKTargetPlatformRegRoot)$(VSSDKTargetPlatformRegRootSuffix)">
          <Output TaskParameter="ProjectTemplates" PropertyName="ZipProjectOutput"/>
          <Output TaskParameter="ItemTemplates" PropertyName="ZipItemOutput"/>
        </VsTemplatePaths>

<!--Make sure those directories exist-->
        <MakeDir Directories="$(ZipProjectOutput);$(ZipItemOutput)"/>
      </Target>

in the targets file.

The best approach I know is to modify the targets file to avoid registration.

Hope my reply helps.

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Victor_Chen Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:45 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 5:02 AM
  • Helps to know what version of VS you're targeting here. With VS2008, I believe this was just a property set in the .csproj file.

With 2010 things are a bit different as described in the following blog. I'm pretty certain there are properties you can define like the DeployExtension property that give you some additional control over the registration. I haven't tried this, but you'll want to examine the Microsoft.VsSDK.targets to see if there's a property that'll meet your needs.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dsvst/archive/2010/03/01/dissecting-vs-2010-package-registration.aspx

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 5:53 AM
  • Alright, that seems to have worked.  Thanks guys.

I set these to false in all my VsPackages:

<RegisterOutputPackage>true</RegisterOutputPackage>
        <RegisterWithCodebase>true</RegisterWithCodebase>

It cut 3 minutes off my Rebuild All time.  Down from 16:25 to 13:30.  Now to find more things I can do without moving the clear case host from another country to my desk.

• Marked as answer by FBNitro Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:48 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:47 PM

All replies

• Hi FBNitro,

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know, there is no options to stop registering to experimental hive.

MSBuild register VSpackage to experimental hive in Microsoft.VsSDK.targets,

you can find a target

Target Name="VsTemplatePathsTarget"
              DependsOnTargets="$(VsTemplatePathsTargetDependsOn)"
              Condition="'$(DeployVSTemplates)'=='true'">

<VsTemplatePaths RegistryHive="$(VSSDKTargetPlatformRegRoot)$(VSSDKTargetPlatformRegRootSuffix)">
          <Output TaskParameter="ProjectTemplates" PropertyName="ZipProjectOutput"/>
          <Output TaskParameter="ItemTemplates" PropertyName="ZipItemOutput"/>
        </VsTemplatePaths>

<!--Make sure those directories exist-->
        <MakeDir Directories="$(ZipProjectOutput);$(ZipItemOutput)"/>
      </Target>

in the targets file.

The best approach I know is to modify the targets file to avoid registration.

Hope my reply helps.

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, May 20, 2011 5:02 AM
  • Hi again,

Is it resolved?

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]

Friday, May 27, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Helps to know what version of VS you're targeting here. With VS2008, I believe this was just a property set in the .csproj file.

With 2010 things are a bit different as described in the following blog. I'm pretty certain there are properties you can define like the DeployExtension property that give you some additional control over the registration. I haven't tried this, but you'll want to examine the Microsoft.VsSDK.targets to see if there's a property that'll meet your needs.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dsvst/archive/2010/03/01/dissecting-vs-2010-package-registration.aspx

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 5:53 AM
  • I'm on VS2008 SP1.  I'll play around with the settings and post back once I figure things out.  Ed, I assume these are the settings you're talking about:

<PropertyGroup>
        <!--
        To specify a different registry root to register your package, uncomment the TargetRegistryRoot
        tag and specify a registry root in it.
        <TargetRegistryRoot></TargetRegistryRoot>
        -->
      </PropertyGroup>

Glancing at Ed's blog post, it sounds like when I move to 2010, this won't be a concern.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Alright, that seems to have worked.  Thanks guys.

I set these to false in all my VsPackages:

It cut 3 minutes off my Rebuild All time.  Down from 16:25 to 13:30.  Now to find more things I can do without moving the clear case host from another country to my desk.

• Marked as answer by FBNitro Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:48 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:47 PM