ISSUE with SQL Server Instance Not updating from SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• My client is trying to upgrade from SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1   ...   The problem is the default instance didn't update when they went from SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2008 R2 ... Not sure why that happened but now they have multiple Instance IDs... They also have reporting services installed as well.   

I saw several [FORUM]  Entries about deleting the invalid entries from the entry and tried deleting the INACTIVE Entries which worked but didn't fix the issue with reporting services. 

See the SQL Server Discovery Report for original entries

I did delete the MSSQLServer.INACTIVE by the following regedit entry

Delete Inactive entry….  And although still functioning….

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\OLAP\Inactive]

"MSSQLSERVER"="MSAS10_50.MSSQLSERVER"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\SQL\Inactive]

"MSSQLSERVER"="MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER"

This worked but didn't fix the issue as still cannot update the original MSSQLServer Instances...   Anyway around this except for complete reinstallation of the SQL Server on the box.  All seems to work except for not being able to update the SQL Server Instance.

Thanks

Reda

Reda Sheinberg

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 8:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

It seems that the upgrade was failed and there is a orphan SQL Server instance. To solve this issue please try to run the following command to uninstall the SQL Server 2008 R2 instance and then upgrade again:
    setup /action=uninstall /instanceid=MSSQLSERVER /features=SQLEngine,Replication,FullText,AS

If the issue presists, please refer to the following article to workaround this issue:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/baliles/archive/2012/04/27/how-to-fix-a-failed-sql-2005-2008-r2-or-2012-install-upgrade-mssqlserver-inactive.aspx

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click  here.

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 8, 2013 8:59 AM
  • I followed the article and performed the msiexec /x  to remove all the productcodes with the .INACTIVE instance name   however I still have the issue with the Reporting Services since the Instance MSQLSERVER refers to an instance id with MSSQLSERVER1 .... as seen in the Instance installation .    What is the best way to resolve the issue with Reporting Services named Instance...  as shown in the Discovery REport below? I was hoping to avoid removing reporting services.   See Discovery report below after deleting the INACTIVE instances.....   

• Edited by SingingLady Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:58 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:51 PM
  •  

Removed Report Services product codes related to old MSSQLServer

Manually Remove Reporting Services

setup.exe /ACTION=uninstall /FEATURES=RS /INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER

Deleted RS 

Got rid of Reporting Services…  and inactive INSTANCES

However  still can't update the MSQLServer instance…..  As for some reason thinks default instance is still there..

Unless  we get another response from Microsoft on what to try or someone on our team has another idea it looks like the best thing is to rebuild SQL Server on 4CD….     This will mean Backup and Restore DB,   jobs, and Report Services. 

Any other ideas? 

Reda Sheinberg

• Edited by SingingLady Monday, August 12, 2013 2:34 PM
    Monday, August 12, 2013 2:30 PM
  • >it looks like the best thing is to rebuild SQL Server

Yes, sometimes that is the fastest way.

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect sqlusa.com
    New Book / Kindle: Pass SQL Exam 70-461 & Job Interview: Programming SQL Server 2012

Monday, August 12, 2013 11:32 PM