none
How Do I Correlate An Inbound 997 With an ISA? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to understand conceptually how to set up an application to receive a 997 after sending an 850. It seems that most resources I've found focus on sending a 997, not receiving.

Intuitively, it seems like I should set up a FTP or File receive port, configure it to use an EDI Receive pipeline and BizTalk should correlate the message with an ISA in the EDI status reporting for me. However, this doesn't seem to be working.

As I read more, I'm gathering that a "subscription" is required. The only way I know how to create subscriptions is to set up a send port with filtering. But in this context it doesn't make sense to me. Where would I be sending? Is there another way to create subscriptions that I don't know about?

Any examples out there for my scenarios? Please advise.

• Edited by kgarske Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:29 PM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:55 PM

Answers

• I recomend using an external table that you can control. You can run reports and do pretty much antying you can do. The problem with Biztalk is that when you upgrade in the future, you may lose some of the functionalities that you relied on. I always recomed thinsg like this in a table you can control.
    Please Indicate "Mark as Answer" if this Post has Answered the Question
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:06 PM

All replies

• Answer to question depends on what do you want to do with the received 997 file.

If you want to  do some reconcilation with 997 received, you can map received 997 to your Table structure and store it for reconcilation.

Map can be assoctiated  either in the recive port or send port.

997 File Schema is present in Microsoft.BizTalk.Edi.BaseArtifacts.dll

Another option will be to subscribe to 997 message in orchestartion and have your custom process implemented.

Sathish - http://blog.tsathish.com
    Friday, October 15, 2010 10:14 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. 

I would just like BizTalk to track the acknowledgement via EDI status reports if possible. I see the "EDI Interchange and ACK Status Reporting" report and have to assume I'm responsible for picking up an ACK from the FTP server and route it somewhere. I'm just not sure how to have BizTalk detect the ACK.

Does that make sense?

Monday, October 18, 2010 6:10 PM
  • An option is to build a table that will have all the information you like about every transaction you send out. The table can contain any information including the transaction id you send out to the trade partner. When you recieve a 997, the status table can be updated with the results. This way you have more control over what you send and receive. Once you have your own table, you can pretty much run all kinds of reports based on what you send the 997 you recieve. It is my prefered method to handle the 997.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please refer below link from Eric. He has explain how he managed to correlate the Inbound EDI 997 message to the outbound EDI message. 

http://blog.biztalk-info.com/archive/2008/06/18/R2_EDI_Reporting_what_is_lacking_and_what_I_did.aspx

Best Regards, Vishnu
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 5:20 PM
  • I am not sure whether there is any thing out of the box to address your requirement. You have to implement custom logic to handle your requirement
    Sathish - http://blog.tsathish.com
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:19 PM
  • There must be a way because there is an option to view functional ACKs in the correlated status report. I don't see how to load my functional ACKs into BizTalk.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:37 AM
  • I recomend using an external table that you can control. You can run reports and do pretty much antying you can do. The problem with Biztalk is that when you upgrade in the future, you may lose some of the functionalities that you relied on. I always recomed thinsg like this in a table you can control.
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:06 PM
  • I appreciate the suggestion Carlos, and it's probably a decent last resort. However, I want to use the reporting in BizTalk versus write my own. We use BizTalk so we don't have to write (as much) software.

Maybe I'm just bitter that I bought a BizTalk license thinking it would do some of the work for me, but I don't want to give up on this. Again, I want to correlate an ACK with an ISA --can or can not BizTalk do this for me? If so, how do I load my 997s?

Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:27 PM