none
Problem with scrolling the lists (ListBox controls) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My Excel application  works as a GUI  for an engineering software. It's a  .xlsb workbook with numerous custom user forms, macros, functions, etc. created on VBA and it has been used by hundreds of clients in all Excel versions.

Recently I got an issue that really puzzled me. An user had problems with scrolling the lists (ListBox controls). The scrollbar wouldn't move when he click on it and try to drag.

He showed this to me via MS Teams call. He could select the items from the list; double click worked fine as well. Only clicking on the scrollbar didn't work!  And he had this issue with all (many!)  ListBox controls (on different user forms).

I initialize most of the ListBox dynamically at runtime -  like .RowSource = "ss!a4:a" & lastRow (or via .AddItem).  And we had never had any problems with scrolling the lists.

I suspect something might be wrong with his mouse or Excel ... But I have no idea what...

Please, help!! This forum has been very helpful for me in the past!

Thank you!

Julia

Thursday, February 27, 2020 3:49 PM

Answers

• To:  Julia
    re:  controls not functioning properly

Deleting .EXD files can remedy UserForm problems.
    Most usually found in a  Forms folder.
    I would do a search with Excel closed and delete the files.
    Maybe on both your user's system and your own system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290537 was the original source, which no longer exists.

A longer shot would be to  also delete  .BOX files.
    '---

The free Excel workbook "Professional_Compare" is available at MediaFire.
    (compares every cell Or each row against all rows (two worksheets) - choice of compare type)

Now includes an optional Clean Data utility
    Download (no ads) from:  http://www.mediafire.com/folder/lto3hbhyq0hcf/Documents

• Marked as answer by julia555 Sunday, March 1, 2020 1:27 AM
    Friday, February 28, 2020 12:09 AM
    re:  "ActiveX controls, and my application doesn't have any"

But you said... "
    with numerous custom user forms"
    and the user said... "
    (many!) ListBox controls (on different user forms)"

I am guessing that a "user form" is an area on a worksheet where the user fills in data (in cells).

That is not a UserForm, which is what I thought you were referring to.

NLtL
    • Marked as answer by julia555 Sunday, March 1, 2020 1:26 AM
    Friday, February 28, 2020 3:16 AM
  • @Julia,

As NLtL advised one or more EXD files in different locations are indeed created for userforms, and occasionally associated with problems. The one to look for is MSForms.exd just delete it and a new one will be created next time.

However with the problem you describe I suspect your user has a Mac. In Mac 2011 the only way to scroll was to double-click, it might be fixed in Mac 2016 / 365 but not sure. Applies to all MSForms controls that have scrollbars.

Saturday, February 29, 2020 10:04 AM

All replies

re:  controls not functioning properly

Deleting .EXD files can remedy UserForm problems.
    Most usually found in a  Forms folder.
    I would do a search with Excel closed and delete the files.
    Maybe on both your user's system and your own system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290537 was the original source, which no longer exists.

A longer shot would be to  also delete  .BOX files.
    '---

The free Excel workbook "Professional_Compare" is available at MediaFire.
    (compares every cell Or each row against all rows (two worksheets) - choice of compare type)

Now includes an optional Clean Data utility
    Download (no ads) from:  http://www.mediafire.com/folder/lto3hbhyq0hcf/Documents

• Marked as answer by julia555 Sunday, March 1, 2020 1:27 AM
    Friday, February 28, 2020 12:09 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestion, but  .EXD files usually associate with  ActiveX controls, and my application doesn't have any.

Regards,

Julia

Friday, February 28, 2020 2:55 AM
    re:  "ActiveX controls, and my application doesn't have any"

But you said... "
    with numerous custom user forms"
    and the user said... "
    (many!) ListBox controls (on different user forms)"

I am guessing that a "user form" is an area on a worksheet where the user fills in data (in cells).

That is not a UserForm, which is what I thought you were referring to.

NLtL
    Friday, February 28, 2020 3:16 AM
  • @Julia,

As NLtL advised one or more EXD files in different locations are indeed created for userforms, and occasionally associated with problems. The one to look for is MSForms.exd just delete it and a new one will be created next time.

However with the problem you describe I suspect your user has a Mac. In Mac 2011 the only way to scroll was to double-click, it might be fixed in Mac 2016 / 365 but not sure. Applies to all MSForms controls that have scrollbars.

Saturday, February 29, 2020 10:04 AM
  • NLtL, Peter

Thank you for your suggestions.

You might be right about the files (not the MAC - all our users have PCs).

I was sending to the user one by one testing workbooks - with newly created ListBox controls (just for tests)  and locked old, "not-scrolling" ListBox controls and was getting positive replies - that the new ListBox worked fine.

Then I removed all "testing" ListBox controls and unlocked the "not-scrolling" old ListBox controls and they worked fine too! So, may be EXD files got somehow deleted on user's computer and newly created ones worked fine? 

Sorry, that my explanation may be confusing; we have a software release next week, so I'm so glad that this problem is gone! 

Thank you!

Julia

Sunday, March 1, 2020 1:25 AM