none
WebServices or SQL replication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to develop an ASP.NET application that must connect to several different databases.

Those databases are on SQL servers (except one) which are not exposed outside of the company.

The application will be host on a public area.

Then, I'm working on 2 different solutions for this application to get its data :

* SQL Server replication : Replicate data from the private area to the public area in a new database.

+ Performances for the web application
    - Data duplicated
    - Conflict management (risk of concurrent updates)

* Services oriented : Expose web services from the private area

+ Easy for others applications to get data (hide the complexity of the sub system)
    + More secure as no SQL server exposed to outside

Any idea or other solution about that ?

Thanks,

G.

Friday, December 8, 2006 8:15 AM

All replies

• First of all, I think that performance will not make a big difference between the solutions (unless you have to small hardware for to big use). I've just delivered a website with ASP.NET calling webservices using SQL server 2000. Throughput on a local PC is about 320 hits per second! Offcourse bandwith is a consideration here. If the connection between the ASP.NET and the webservice is slow, then so is the application, but what I can read from you message, I don't think that's a problem.

Second of all, my experiences with data replication are that they take a lot of maintenance and can bring you loads of trouble if things ever go wrong.

Last but not least, it's also a lot easier to scale an SOA.

So I would go for the webservice approach (unless there are some other requirements, that you've not mentioned).

Friday, December 8, 2006 9:47 AM
  • The are many other options e.g. You can also use web-services to get data from the SQL backends and still create a local database for the ASP.NET application as a cache database.

The question is what are your requirements ? what's the performance you need, what are your security constraints, how much bandwidth do you have etc. etc.

Arnon

Sunday, December 10, 2006 9:21 PM
  • Gérard,

the following links offer general guidance on architecture (from different perspectives):

Sunday, December 10, 2006 11:10 PM