Where is the Triggers Pallet in 2.5 March? RRS feed

• Question

• Where did the triggers pallet in 2.5 March go? I am not seeing it anywhere. Hw do I open it? I am making a silverlight 2.0 application in blend.
    Designer Girl
    • Edited by designerGirl Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:04 PM explained what project using
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:02 PM

Answers

• Triggers are not supported in Silverlight 2. You will see that if you were to try to create a WPF project. Triggers are basically used to define when certain states should be active, and what properties to set in that state. Silverlight 2 has a different mechanism for state management and that will be supported in Blend in a near future version. For now, you have to edit XAML by hand to get effects like Button rollovers.

Thanks,
    -Unni
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:06 PM

All replies

• Triggers are not supported in Silverlight 2. You will see that if you were to try to create a WPF project. Triggers are basically used to define when certain states should be active, and what properties to set in that state. Silverlight 2 has a different mechanism for state management and that will be supported in Blend in a near future version. For now, you have to edit XAML by hand to get effects like Button rollovers.

Thanks,
    -Unni
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:06 PM
  • ok thanks. Cant wait for that to come out! That is a very important feature to have in blend!
    Designer Girl
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:19 PM
  • Please can you advise which build we will be able to see triggers supported in the UI for Blend? At the moment I feel this is the one important feature missing which is preventing me from getting into Silverlight.

I'm having trouble making sense of the exact capabilities for all the apps in the Expression suite at the moment.
    Am I right in thinking blend will be the right app for visually creating complete Silverlight componants for web pages including triggers?
    Do any of the other expression apps do this at the moment? I understand Expression Web dosn't handle Silverlight yet?

Thanks!

-Lawrence Stromski.
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 11:19 PM
  • Silverlight 2 will not have support for triggers as you know of them in WPF. However, there will be a story (and we think a good one) for letting your easily customize the look and feel of controls including defining states and transitions, and one that Blend will support nicely. I think it is little early for us to comment on the exact version of Blend that this will appear in, but this is the most important feature we are currently working on and we hope the answer is soon.

Regarding your other question, yes, Blend (potentially in conjunction with VS since creating interactive applications often requires a world-class debugger among other things that VS brings to the table :)) will be the right app for creating visually compelling content for web pages if your target platform is Silverlight.

Thanks,
    -Unni
    Monday, April 7, 2008 11:42 PM
  • If you need to know the code to hook a button designed in Expression Blend to your codebehind, do this:

In the XAML file, add the following attribute to your button:

MouseLeftButtonDown="Mouse_Clicked"

e.g.

<Button Height="29" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" Margin="284,0,262,136" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Content="Spin Text" x:Name="btnSpin" FontFamily="Comic Sans MS" TextAlignment="Center" ClickMode="Release" MouseLeftButtonDown="Mouse_Clicked"/>

In the code behind file (C# in this case) add the following event:

public void Mouse_Clicked(object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
    {
        storyboardName.Begin();
    }

• Edited by Mo_000 Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:08 PM Found my own answer
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:35 PM