searching HVGA emulator RRS feed

• Question

• HTC recently released the HTC HD Mini with a HVGA resolution (320 x 480). How can I adopt my application to this new resolution without an emulator and not buying this device? I tried finding such an emulator but without any luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Maik

Sunday, April 18, 2010 4:57 PM

Answers

• First you can specify a new resolution for the emulator as follows: 

1. On the Visual Studio Tools menu, click Options.
    2. Expand the Device Tools node, and then click Devices.
    3. In the Devices box, select an emulator closest to the target device, and then click "Save As" button to create a new one (i.e. a copy).  
    4. In the <EmulatorName> Emulator Properties dialog box, click Emulator Options, and then select the Display tab. 
    5. Specify a width and a height. 
    6. When you deploy your project to the new emulator, it will be shown without a skin. (You can create a custom skin as shown in the following pages: Customizing Skins (Devices) )
    7. Some of the UI of the emulator may not be shown correctly but it should be enough for testing your applications. 

Then you can add a new form factor for Visual Studio's designer as follows:

2. Expand the Device Tools node, and then click Form Factors.
    3. In the Form Factors box, select an emulator closest to the target device, and then click "Save As..." to make a copy. Select the copy, and then click Properties.
    4. In the <EmulatorName> Emulator Properties dialog box, uncheck the "Show skin" option. 
    5. Specify a screen width and a height. 
    6. When you add a new form, you can switch to the new form factor (i.e. the modified copy) in the FormFactor property. 

Below are some guides for developing adaptable applications:

Adaptable Apps For Windows Mobile 
    MSDN Webcast: 24 Hours of Windows Mobile Application Development: Dealing with Different Form Factors (Level 300) 
    MSDN Webcast: 24 Hours of Windows Mobile Application Development: Creating Adaptive Applications for Windows Mobile Devices (Level 300)

Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community.
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Friday, April 23, 2010 2:53 AM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 7:59 AM

All replies

• First you can specify a new resolution for the emulator as follows: 

2. Expand the Device Tools node, and then click Devices.
    3. In the Devices box, select an emulator closest to the target device, and then click "Save As" button to create a new one (i.e. a copy).  
    4. In the <EmulatorName> Emulator Properties dialog box, click Emulator Options, and then select the Display tab. 
    5. Specify a width and a height. 
    6. When you deploy your project to the new emulator, it will be shown without a skin. (You can create a custom skin as shown in the following pages: Customizing Skins (Devices) )
    7. Some of the UI of the emulator may not be shown correctly but it should be enough for testing your applications. 

Then you can add a new form factor for Visual Studio's designer as follows:

2. Expand the Device Tools node, and then click Form Factors.
    3. In the Form Factors box, select an emulator closest to the target device, and then click "Save As..." to make a copy. Select the copy, and then click Properties.
    4. In the <EmulatorName> Emulator Properties dialog box, uncheck the "Show skin" option. 
    5. Specify a screen width and a height. 
    6. When you add a new form, you can switch to the new form factor (i.e. the modified copy) in the FormFactor property. 

Below are some guides for developing adaptable applications:

Adaptable Apps For Windows Mobile 
    MSDN Webcast: 24 Hours of Windows Mobile Application Development: Dealing with Different Form Factors (Level 300) 
    MSDN Webcast: 24 Hours of Windows Mobile Application Development: Creating Adaptive Applications for Windows Mobile Devices (Level 300)

Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community.
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Friday, April 23, 2010 2:53 AM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 7:59 AM
  • Thanks it worked, with ONE specific addendum to the solution by ChunSheng Tang.

In Step-3 the selected emulator must be with 128 DPI (320x320 Square QVGA emulator image).
    Read more about it here 
    http://techwireless.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-to-emulate-htc-hd-mini-in-visual.html

Friday, November 12, 2010 2:50 PM