none
If the disk being tested is an LU, the Storage Firmware Update test fails. RRS feed

• Question

• When applying Compatibility Program Playlist 2.1 of HLK, the Storage Firmware Update test is displayed as a test item of Disk.
    However, if the disk to be tested is an LU (Logical Unit), the Storage Firmware Update test fails because Firmware does not exist.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/windows_hardware_certification/2016/11/15/hlk-compatibility-program-playlist-and-additional-qualification-update-for-november-15th-2016/
    Looking at the above blog,
    =======================================================================
    1. Firmware Update Capable
    Disk Drives that can update firmware while running without requiring a power cycle.
    SAS, SATA, and NVMe Storage devices may be optionally tested for Firmware Update Capability.
    If this AQ is sought for SAS devices, you must manually add the If Implemented Device.Storage.Hd.FirmwareUpdate feature to run the corresponding test.
    and the Storage Firmware Update test seems to be limited to SAS, SATA, and NVMe Storage devices.

If the disk to be tested is LU, is it OK to apply without running the Storage Firmware Update test?
    • Edited by hirosea Wednesday, December 7, 2016 12:48 AM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 12:37 AM

All replies

• https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/01/25/updating-firmware-for-disk-drives-in-windows-server-2016-tp4/

Looking at the above article,

FAQ
        Can I update firmware on my SAN through this mechanism?
            No – SANs usually have their own utilities and interfaces for such maintenance operations. This new mechanism is for directly attached storage, such as SATA, SAS, or NVMe devices.

Thursday, December 8, 2016 6:46 AM
  • https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/storage/update-firmware

Looking at the above article too,

FAQ
        Can I update firmware on my SAN through this mechanism?
            No – SANs usually have their own utilities and interfaces for such maintenance operations. This new mechanism is for directly attached storage, such as SATA, SAS, or NVMe devices.

Friday, December 9, 2016 3:55 AM
  • We are seeing the same thing.

Anyone have an answer? (not just a pointer) Yes/No?

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 8:55 PM
  • We created an hlkx package containing a failed log and asked via the MS support what Storage Firmware Update test would be required on a disk with SAN connection, we got a fix patch of HLK Controller / Client sent.

When applying the patch, the Storage Firmware Update test has been excluded  at the Selection stage.

At the moment, since the patch is an individual correspondence, it seems that there is no choice but to contact support individually.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 1:54 AM
  • We have the same issue, and need the Storage Firmware Update test removed.

I already have the latest HLK Filters, but that didn't help. How did you get the fix patch? Open a tech support ticket through support.microsoft.com?

Thursday, December 22, 2016 12:46 PM
  • >Open a tech support ticket through support.microsoft.com?

Although I am not a direct contact, I contacted MS support via a person in charge in the company.

Monday, December 26, 2016 2:05 AM