SQL Server 2008 R2 Mirroring combined with Clustering Services RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have a quite troublesome scenario. Two SQL servers are currently running in a MSCS cluster. We are about to upgrade them to SQL Server 2008 and Clustering Services. But our virtualization platform is VMware vSphere and backend storage is iSCSI. VMware does not support MSCS and iSCSI :(

The application that uses the SQL servers requires Clustering Services to be enabled. So after a bit of reasoning i came up with this potential work around.

1. Configure a single node SQL Cluster on VMware (From what i can tell it is supported by VMware with a single node cluster, maybe because storage is actually not shared between nodes)

2. Configure database mirroring to another SQL server, to provide failover features

From a SQL server perspective would this be a supported configuration? Are there any problems with this kind of configuration.Can you think of any alternative way to solve the problem?

Thank you!

Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:53 AM

Answers

• If the applications "requires" cluster services then I think you probably have to create 2 single node cluster and then create mirroring with failover between the different clusters.  That seems like a lot of complexity for very little benefit.  I would do a test of using just database mirroring using stand alone servers and see if it works.  If it doesn't work there is a good chance it won't work with each server being a single node cluster.

You could look at deploying a multisite cluster and use one of the 3rd party replication engines to keep the data in sync between cluster nodes.  This gives you the added benefit of using a standard 2-node cluster as well as keeping redundanct copies of your data.  I wrote a blog article on how to configure a SQL Server multisite cluster here.

Of course the traditional use case of a multisite cluster is for site disaster recovery but it also works very nicely on a LAN when shared storage is not possible or when you are looking to eliminate shared storage as a single point of failure.

David A. Bermingham, MVP Senior Technical Evangelist, SIOS Technology Corp
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Monday, May 16, 2011 6:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Friday, May 20, 2011 7:31 AM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 9:28 PM

All replies

• We have several clustered db servers on two nodes having mirroring configured on all datababase, but never worked on single node clustered with mirroring

As per my knowledge - (I hope mirroring server also single node cluster otherwise your application won't work)I don't think any issue with this configuration, as any issues with clustered single node would failover databases across mirror server. Make sure mirroring server capable enough to cope-up load when all databases failover?

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/ramjaddu

Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:30 PM
  • If the applications "requires" cluster services then I think you probably have to create 2 single node cluster and then create mirroring with failover between the different clusters.  That seems like a lot of complexity for very little benefit.  I would do a test of using just database mirroring using stand alone servers and see if it works.  If it doesn't work there is a good chance it won't work with each server being a single node cluster.

You could look at deploying a multisite cluster and use one of the 3rd party replication engines to keep the data in sync between cluster nodes.  This gives you the added benefit of using a standard 2-node cluster as well as keeping redundanct copies of your data.  I wrote a blog article on how to configure a SQL Server multisite cluster here.

Of course the traditional use case of a multisite cluster is for site disaster recovery but it also works very nicely on a LAN when shared storage is not possible or when you are looking to eliminate shared storage as a single point of failure.

David A. Bermingham, MVP Senior Technical Evangelist, SIOS Technology Corp
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Monday, May 16, 2011 6:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Friday, May 20, 2011 7:31 AM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 9:28 PM