none
User Control RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating a SharePoint Intranet. I need to have different navigation formatting on the master page for my Device Channels. For example, for larger screens, the secondary navigation is in the quick launch on the left-hand navigation. But for my phone screens, I need it to turn in to a drop down from the top of the page. I have created a Device Channel Panel in my master that works great. However, I am getting errors because I have duplicate PlaceHolders from the duplicate navigation formats.

I have been doing some research on User Controls but can't wrap my head around them. I believe I can use them similar to an include file (back in the day). Is this correct? Can anyone give me some advice on how to proceed with this issue? I would love to be able to have one file that can be reused again and again though the site. But I am really struggling with this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

BNM OBG

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can you use css to control the navigation?

顺其自然地勇往直前!—Justin Liu

• Marked as answer by BNMOBG Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:46 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 1:53 AM
  • Hi,

Base on your requirement, we can make your master page Responsive to achieve it. We just use CSS to achieve it.

The following articles for your reference:

Making seattle.master Responsive

http://blog.sharepointexperience.com/2015/03/making-seattle-master-responsive/

Responsive SharePoint

https://responsivesharepoint.codeplex.com/

Best Regards,

Dennis

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by BNMOBG Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:46 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 3:02 AM
  • Yes, my site is responsive - using the method above.

It's the secondary navigation (Quick Launch) that I am having trouble with. Because of the design or our site, we are using the quick launch for our left hand nav. I would like this be formatted for the device channel without having to use duplicate master pages. That is problematic because I can't use a duplicate master pages for the system which causes issues with lists.

So in my site master page, I need to be able to call this navigation twice. One formatted for mobile and the other for the rest. I tried using Device Channel Panels, but I get errors that I have duplicate SPM tags (i.e., Placeholders, etc.).

Example of how I need it to work:

Pic 1: Shows how the page should load with the top hamburger and then the secondary navigation called Related Links:

Second Pic: Shows how the secondary navigation should call out when Related Links is clicked.

BNM OBG

Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:45 PM
  • I am using CSS for to format the navigation on both the global nav and the quick launch. I need it to work differently on the phone view. Example below. Thanks.

BNM OBG

Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:46 PM