none
SSLStream.AuthenticateAsServer - an apparent failure? RRS feed

• Question

• After calling a try-catch protected call to SSLStream.AuthenticateAsServer I find that SSLStream.IsAuthenticated is False. And indeed attempting to read data from the stream results in an exception: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

Apparently my call to AuthenticateAsServer fails, but throws no exception.

The authentication works 90% of the time, but I am seeing the above behavior from time to time.

Since authentication throws no exception, I have nothing to go on.

My question is; Any idea why negotiation may fail without exception?  Any ideas on an approach to diagnose this?

Lee Gillie, CCP Online Data Processing, Inc. - Spokane, WA

Monday, July 27, 2015 4:10 PM

Answers

• This ended up being a beginner's kind of error on my part holding the new stream objects momentarily and temporarily in the context of the listener. Upon completion they were copied into session contexts, but if the requests came in too rapidly, obviously the stream instance variables were overwritten. Did not notice my gaffe immediately, making it appear to be the behavior I described in the original post. With this corrected, I've been able to hammer in hundreds of web requests in a very short period without skipping a beat.

Lee Gillie, CCP Online Data Processing, Inc. - Spokane, WA

• Marked as answer by Lee Gillie Monday, July 27, 2015 6:36 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2015 6:36 PM