none
Entity Framework Power Tools do not generate context class and ignore customized t4 templates RRS feed

• Question

• I have Visual Studio 2012 AND EF power tools beta 2. When I use Reverse Engineering Code First, no context class was generated. There is an exception in the output window with few details:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.DbContextPackage.Extensions.ProjectExtensions.InstallPackage(Project project, String packageId)
       at Microsoft.DbContextPackage.Handlers.ReverseEngineerCodeFirstHandler.ReverseEngineerCodeFirst(Project project)

If I choose Customized Reverse Engeening Templates and make some changes there, Reverse Engineering Code First still use the old template and ignore the changes I made.

Thanks,

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:49 PM

Answers

• This sounds like a bug in the power tool. Can you submit an issue here: http://entityframework.codeplex.com/WorkItem/Create

It will get investigated further and fixed from that, if it is possible enough information to easily reproduce the issue would be nice. SQL to create a schema that causes the problem for example.

We are seeing a lot of great Entity Framework questions (and answers) from the community on Stack Overflow. As a result, our team is going to spend more time reading and answering questions posted on Stack Overflow. We would encourage you to post questions on Stack Overflow using the entity-framework tag. We will also continue to monitor the Entity Framework forum.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:00 PM