none
.Net framework 4.0 installation stopping with "0x240006" RRS feed

• Question

• Hey

I made a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit to a new hard drive and I cannot install the .net 4.0 framework because it's stopping at:

Exe (C:\5021de484704fe69f7\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x240006 - (null).
    MSI (C:\5021de484704fe69f7\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed.

I have tried the following steps:

1. Disabled Security Essentials and ran the net installer as administrator

2. Dawnloaded the standalone installer from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a391abd-25c1-4fc0-919f-b21f31ab88b7&displaylang=en and ran it as an administrator

3. Used the cleanup tool and restarted my computer after it

The Windows installation is less than 12 hours old and Windows Update ran normally yesterday. Here's the list of installed 3rd party software:

AMD 11.2 Drivers with CCC2

CPUID HWMonitor

Winrar 3.80 trial

Foxit reader

FFDShow, AC3FIlter, MKVsplitter

Irfanview

Mozilla Thunderbird

OpenOffice 3.3

Please help, I've got tools which I need to get to working order asap.

Saturday, February 19, 2011 9:54 AM

Answers

• Hey

I forgot I had also posted here, I've already resolved the problem in a way; I just created a new user account with administrative priviliges. The underlying problem was that I had lost permissions to write to %temp% for some reason during the installation of update packages from Windows Update. The permissions were se to:

C:\Users\Arakki>cacls %temp%
    C:\Users\Arakki\AppData\Local\Temp ROMU\Arakki:(OI)(CI)F

When  they should have been like this:

C:\Users\Admin>cacls %temp%
    C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
    BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
    ROMU\Admin:(OI)(CI)F

I have no idea how this happened on itself, but it's been resolved with the new account. If you need me, I can still run some diagnostics on the broken account, just bear in mind that I cannot practically run anything in there because I don't have rights to write to %temp% on that account.

Edit: the procedure you suggested would have been null effort because "  Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool" is impossible to perform as it cannot write into %temp%.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Arakki,

Thanks for your post.

Would you please folloe the steps below to collect the installation log files for me? This will help to find the cause of the installation failure.

·         Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%).

·         Install .NET Framework 4.0 again (with Administrator privilege).

·         Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool

Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

·         Send the vslogs.cab file to me (E-mail: v-anwu@microsoft.com).

Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Waiting to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:31 AM
  • Hey

I forgot I had also posted here, I've already resolved the problem in a way; I just created a new user account with administrative priviliges. The underlying problem was that I had lost permissions to write to %temp% for some reason during the installation of update packages from Windows Update. The permissions were se to:

C:\Users\Arakki>cacls %temp%
    C:\Users\Arakki\AppData\Local\Temp ROMU\Arakki:(OI)(CI)F

When  they should have been like this:

C:\Users\Admin>cacls %temp%
    C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
    BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
    ROMU\Admin:(OI)(CI)F

I have no idea how this happened on itself, but it's been resolved with the new account. If you need me, I can still run some diagnostics on the broken account, just bear in mind that I cannot practically run anything in there because I don't have rights to write to %temp% on that account.

Edit: the procedure you suggested would have been null effort because "  Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool" is impossible to perform as it cannot write into %temp%.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:04 AM