Does kerning really work ? RRS feed

• Question

• I've read on the web that WPF comes with great typographic support, including kerning.

But anything I've tried, I couldn't manage to make it work.
    • I've used several fonts (although I know for sure that the font I want to use has kerning pairs).
    • I've tried putting explicit Typography.Kerning="True" on almost all my XAML elements.
    • After spending a lot of time, I went to Expression (both GD and ID) to make some additionnal experiments, but none of those programs could produce kerning. While something like Adobe Photoshop can.
    No success.

Is this a bug, a limitation, or am I just doing something wrong ?

Any help is welcome.
    Tuesday, July 4, 2006 7:50 PM

Answers

• As a follow-up, I finally manage to get the text rendering I wanted.
    How ? By switching from TrueType fonts to OpenType fonts.

Apparently, WPF only supports kerning on OpenType fonts, although TrueType fonts may also define kerning pairs. It's a shame that Ms doesn't support TrueType better, given that today 95% of the fonts on your average user PC are TrueType.
    Thursday, July 6, 2006 6:47 PM

All replies

• As a follow-up, I finally manage to get the text rendering I wanted.
    How ? By switching from TrueType fonts to OpenType fonts.

Apparently, WPF only supports kerning on OpenType fonts, although TrueType fonts may also define kerning pairs. It's a shame that Ms doesn't support TrueType better, given that today 95% of the fonts on your average user PC are TrueType.
    Thursday, July 6, 2006 6:47 PM
  • I'm still confused with the Kerning problem.  Most fonts I use do not kern.  The font properties list them as "OpenType Layout, Digitally Signed, TrueType Outlines"  They all have a .ttf file extension.

This font kerns:
     - Palatino Linotype (pala.ttf)

These fonts do not kern:
     - Arial (arial.ttf)
     - Verdana (verdana.ttf)
     - Times New Roman (times.ttf)

In the Microsoft Word 2007 font chooser all the above fonts have a TT icon next to them. 

What's going on?  Are they OpenType or TrueType or "Almost OpenType"?

Is there a way to get kerning pair information in WPF for these non-kerning fonts?

My environment:
    - Windows Vista Business 32-bit
    - Visual Studio 2008
    - .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    - Testing with the Advanced Text Formatting example: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms771407.aspx
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:14 PM