Load Test Agent Installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've a .NET client/server application where users access the client software through Citrix. Right now I've a simple load test with database tests that I'd like to run against the testing environment. My questions are: 1) Do I need to install a Test Agent on the Web server, SQL server, and terminal server under test? 2) Since I'm still using TFS2008, what are the features in TFS2010 related to load testing that I'm missing out?

Here's my current load testing configuration:

Computer 1: Visual Studio Ultimate 2010

Computer 2: Test Controller

Computer 3: Test Agent

Computer 4: SQL Server to store load test results

Thanks,

TDN
    Monday, February 6, 2012 10:21 PM

Answers

• Hi TDN,

You must use the Test Agent if your going to run more than 250 Virtual Users, becuase your machine with VS2010 Ultimate can drive up to 250, as long as you have enough memory and Ghz with a single cpu to drive your tests.  Note, VS2010 will only use 1 CPU even if you have more, again this is without the test agent. With a Test Agent it will use all the resources of the system.

If you do run the Test Agent, you do not want to install it on any of the Systems Under Test, as running tests on those mahcines will skew your results and paint an innacurate picture of how much CPU/Memory for example that the system your testing actually consumes, as it would compete with the load test agent for those resources. Its better to have a seperate machine to run the Test Controller, Test Agent, and the SQL Results, which it sounds like your good already.

You can add performance monitor counters to be collected by your load tests when they run, so this is where you would add your Systems Under Test to collect these counters and store them with the load test results database.

TFS2008/2010 , doesnt integrate as deeply with the Load testing tools - seperate results database really. You can publish results to TFS, but its only summary information.

-Robert

http://blogs.msdn.com/rogeorge

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:51 AM