ODP.NET and IIS RRS feed

• Question

• User373017724 posted

High I developed a web application in C# using .NET 4,  the application connects to a Oracle 10g XE database so I decided to you ODP.NET even though it is deprecated. I'm not much of a web developer :) and my first time actually depolying a website.

Currently I am writing the installation document for this system and ran into this problem when setting up the web application.

Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration Error 
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Oracle.DataAccess, Version=4.112.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error: 

Line 12: 		<compilation debug="true" targetFramework="4.0">
    Line 13: 			<assemblies>
    Line 14: 				<add assembly="Oracle.DataAccess, Version=4.112.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89B483F429C47342" />
    Line 15: 				<add assembly="System.Data.OracleClient, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089" /></assemblies></compilation>
    Line 16: 	</system.web>

I googled this problem and it seems that I need to install the ODP.NET on the machine that will host the web applicaton.
    So should I install this on the machine that will run the application "ODAC 11.2 Release 3 (11.2.0.2.1) with Xcopy Deployment".
     I might have to get the right verison that I developed the system in?

Thank you in advance.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:20 PM

Answers

• User269602965 posted

Install the latest version of ODP.NET onto the IIS server.  use regular, not XCOPY download,

then when prompted during installation, select CLIENT INSTALL.

it will install the Oracle client with ODAC drivers supporting several versions in the GAC.

It was System.Data.OracleClient that was deprecated by Microsoft.

Oracle.DataAccess.Client is fully supported by Oracle.

Your application must be explicitly compiled as 32-bit or 64-bit.

and the Oracle client must then match the application as 32-bit or 64-bit.

Of course 64-bit app and client requires IIS be 64-bit as well.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:13 PM