none
Workflow - Discussion board replies to a particular category RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I have created a workflow that send alerts based on post category to a particular group of SharePoint users which works fine.

I now need to create an alert for replies based on post category which sends an email alert to the same group of users.

Can anyone help please?  I thought the below would work but unfortunately it doesn't.

Thanks

• Edited by Henny12345 Friday, December 15, 2017 11:53 AM
    Friday, December 15, 2017 11:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Henny- I suggest you grab the value of replies and store it in a variable. Then check if replies is > variable. If so, send the alert.

cameron rautmann

Friday, December 15, 2017 6:52 PM
  • Hi Henny12345,

Because the Category column is not belong to the Message content type, so the workflow is not working.

As an workaround, you can create another lookup column named category1 and add it to the Message content type, and set the value same as the category column, then create a workflow like you offered.   

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 18, 2017 9:24 AM
  • Hello,

I thought about this approach and it isn't practical for our users to have to specify the category again as they might not remember or think the category is different to the one the user stated with original thread.  

I've also realised that you can't input a calculated column to lookup/at the existing category column as that is also a lookup, e.g. SharePoint doesn't allow you to lookup a lookup.  I also can't add this existing category field to the message content type.  

To get around this I created another workflow to copy the category to another field which does work

But using this method still doesn't work when trying to create a workflow to send notifications to replies based on category.

Thanks   

• Edited by Henny12345 Monday, December 18, 2017 12:05 PM
    Monday, December 18, 2017 12:03 PM
  • I've found this post which sends reply notifications to the creator of the original thread but doesn't help with sending alerts to a SP group.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/02156559-ab6e-4abf-bd26-f295aeb8cc71/sharepoint-2010-workflow-for-discussion-board-notification-emails?forum=sharepointcustomizationprevious

Monday, December 18, 2017 3:23 PM
  • Hi Henny12345,

You said  that "To get around this I created another workflow to copy the category to another field which does work.

But using this method still doesn't work when trying to create a workflow to send notifications to replies based on category."

Why doesn't it works when trying to create a workflow to send notifications to replies based on category?

I create an look up column named cate which get information from Categories, add the column to Message content type.

then create SharePoint 2013 platform workflow like following, and email send successfully.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 10:02 AM
  • Hi Lisa

I have no idea why its not working but I have built the workflow in SP Designer 2010.

Should I have built it in SP Designer 2013?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 4:12 PM
  • Hi Henny,

Yes, built SharePoint 2013 platform workflow in SharePoint Designer 2013.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:45 AM
  • Hi Henny,

Is there anything update? 

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if it helps. 

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Friday, December 29, 2017 10:24 AM
  • Hello Lisa

Unfortunately this hasn't worked, I've created it in both 2010 and 2013 workflows. 

If it does work in your environment is there a step missing from the above? 

Is there any other way to do this?

Does anyone else have any ideas? 

Thanks   

Friday, January 5, 2018 9:40 AM