Windows 7 didn't shown up (Dual Boot Windows 8 Developer Preview)

Question

• I just installed Windows 8 Developer Preview a moment ago, before that i have Windows 7 and Windows XP on my computer. It seems i install the Windows 8 on primary partition (before that Windows XP partition, i just format the Windows XP system), after that i couldn't get my Windows 7 (logical partition) on boot option.
    My question is, how to bring back my Windows 7 T_T

thanks in advance

Monday, November 28, 2011 11:40 AM

Answers

• hi there,

you can also have a look at the bcd entries once in Win8DP, just launch an elevated promt and type "bcdedit /v" to visualize if any entries are found for your Win7 system...and then try to create/fix entry in order to have it displayed as an option on bootup.

but easyBCD is quite a better choice if you're not familiar with bcdedit commandline parameters...

best regards,

Pierre.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Monday, November 28, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Hi Bias,

here's what I did in a similar situation:

Right click Computer, select Manage, open Disk Management and see if your Windows7 partition exists and is not overwritten by WDP. If the Windows7 partition exists along with your WDP partition, an easier option is to download and install a third party application EasyBCD from the link:  http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Start the application, View Settings, if the Windows7 doesn't show up in the list of OS's, click on Add Entry, add Windows 7 as the second OS, choose the OS you want to use as your Default. Save the settings. Exit EasyBCD.

Restart your PC. Hope the Windows7 entry figures in the Boot Manager and that you may be able to choose of the 2 OS's you want to boot in.

Irfan
    Monday, November 28, 2011 5:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Bias,

here's what I did in a similar situation:

Right click Computer, select Manage, open Disk Management and see if your Windows7 partition exists and is not overwritten by WDP. If the Windows7 partition exists along with your WDP partition, an easier option is to download and install a third party application EasyBCD from the link:  http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Start the application, View Settings, if the Windows7 doesn't show up in the list of OS's, click on Add Entry, add Windows 7 as the second OS, choose the OS you want to use as your Default. Save the settings. Exit EasyBCD.

Restart your PC. Hope the Windows7 entry figures in the Boot Manager and that you may be able to choose of the 2 OS's you want to boot in.

Irfan
    Monday, November 28, 2011 5:14 PM
  • hi there,

you can also have a look at the bcd entries once in Win8DP, just launch an elevated promt and type "bcdedit /v" to visualize if any entries are found for your Win7 system...and then try to create/fix entry in order to have it displayed as an option on bootup.

but easyBCD is quite a better choice if you're not familiar with bcdedit commandline parameters...

best regards,

Pierre.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Monday, November 28, 2011 8:10 PM