Copy to clipboard has started hanging the app and browser (IE 11 Windows 10) RRS feed

• Question

• I have an error dialog that is a childwindow. On that window I have a button that tries to do:

method FaultDialog.CopyToClipboard(sender: System.Object; e: System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs);
          begin
          Clipboard.SetText( Localization.ClassStrings.TimeOfException       + ' (UTC):' + Environment.NewLine + 
                             TimeOfException                                 + Environment.NewLine + Environment.NewLine + Environment.NewLine +

Localization.ClassStrings.ErrorMessage + ':'    + Environment.NewLine + 
                             Message1.Text                                   + Environment.NewLine + Environment.NewLine + Environment.NewLine + 

Localization.ClassStrings.InnerException        + ':'         + Environment.NewLine + 
                             InnerException1.Text                            + Environment.NewLine + Environment.NewLine + Environment.NewLine + 

Localization.ClassStrings.ErrorStackTrace + ':' + Environment.NewLine + 
                             StackTrace1.Text  
                             );
          end;

When that is executed, Silverlight presents a dialog that is supposed to allow the user to say if they want the app to access the clipboard. But when that is displayed, the screen is locked. Can't click on the Yes, No, the checkbox, the address bar. IE is HUNG.

Tried in FF which I haven't tried for a while and the error dialog button couldn't be clicked.  I had to select it by clicking on it and then pressing the Enter key.  The clipboard dialog came up and I couldn't click on those buttons either.  At least FF DID do the copy to clipboard operation.  But if I tried to do it a second time, the error dialog button event couldn't be triggered at all anymore.

Does somebody test this stuff?

• Edited by Mark Tiede Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:45 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark Tiede,

>>Copy to clipboard has started hanging the app and browser (IE 11 Windows 10)

I suggest you can change the option for allowing access to the clipboard in the Internet Zone security settings.

For example(internet explorer):

Tools -> Internet Options -> Security Tab -> Select the Custom Level button -> chooes enable for Scripting (Allow Programmatic clipboard access)

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 30, 2016 10:36 AM
  • Neither enable or prompt made any difference.
    Friday, December 30, 2016 8:03 PM

• Hi Mark Tiede,

As far as I know, You may not be able to change this security control feature if your administrator has policy enabled the setting.

You can refer the following detailed article.

Stronger Default Security Settings for Script Access to the Clipboard in Internet Explorer 7:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb250473(v=vs.85).aspx

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 2:42 AM
  • There are no policies.  Plus, this USED to work.  I'm guessing there was some Windows 10 or Silverlight plugin update that broke things.
    • Edited by Mark Tiede Thursday, January 5, 2017 1:06 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 1:06 PM