Front Page 2003 and Expression 4 RRS feed

• Question

• We have many custom web pages created using FrontPage 2003.  The latest Jave upgrades are causing an issue with the program fully loading.  Is Expression 4 fully compatible with the latest Java Scripts?  Can I oopen a FrontPage custom web page with Expression 4 and save it as a new file name?  Will this work?
    Monday, May 13, 2013 3:50 PM

All replies

• There is no such thing as a web design program being compatible or not compatible with javascript.  It's up to you if your javascript is working or not.

Java is not javascript, so it's unclear what you are actually asking, but Java is something folks download onto their PC, and the same comments apply: it has nothing to do with the web design program, and everything to do with Java itself, what version people have, and how that version of Java runs - or is blocked, in recent cases because of security problems - by the browser.

Monday, May 13, 2013 4:02 PM
  • What has recently happened is the inability on ceertain computers to fully load the webpage.  It only loads part of the page leaving out selected items.  One individual has isolated it to the latest versions of Java.  Works well with the older versions 100% of the time.  I am trying to find a quick fix for them, hence the question if Expression 4 is compatible with the newest versions of Java.
    Monday, May 13, 2013 5:25 PM
  • If you read the FAQ you would know that display problems require a link to troubleshoot. Old FP behaviors used Java not JavaScript. If you are using those they need to be replaced asap since many people do not have Java installed on their systems due to security issues with it. I know I don't and haven't for years.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Monday, May 13, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Cheryl

Where can I find the FAQ and is it possible to email you directly to ans another question?

Monday, May 13, 2013 5:57 PM
  • A web design tool does not fix Java.  It's java, not FrontPage or Expression Web that is the issue.  Your java, or any other scripts, are up to you. EW won't touch them, break them, or make them work.  It certainly won't write Java.  It's up to you to use something that works, and if it does, it will work no matter what web design tool you use, and if it doesn't work ... ditto. (Java is old, not downloaded by many people, uninstalled by many recently because of publicized security issues, and frankly, is not a good choice to use.)
    • Edited by KathyW2 Monday, May 13, 2013 6:02 PM
    Monday, May 13, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Thank you Kathy,

Can you assist in letting me know how to fix the problem?  I now understand FP needed Java.  Expressions does not.  How can I get this page to fully display? 

Monday, May 13, 2013 6:03 PM
  • (Java is old, not downloaded by many people, uninstalled by many recently because of publicized security issues, and frankly, is not a good choice to use.)

I'll second that. I've never loaded Java® on this machine, and never will. If you have Java®-dependent behavior on your site(s), you are advised to replace it with more modern, universally supported dynamic technologies. AFAIK, all versions of javascript (supported by browsers, does not require download and installation, nor user maintenance) are compatible, although framework (e.g. jQuery, mootools, prototype, etc.) versions may introduce incompatibility.

But, at this point, without seeing your source code, we're basically guessing. Post a link to a page/site exhibiting these symptoms and we may be able to help you.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Monday, May 13, 2013 8:10 PM
    Monday, May 13, 2013 6:06 PM
  • Cheryl

Where can I find the FAQ and is it possible to email you directly to ans another question?

The FAQ is the first post (sticky) at the top of this forum

Forum FAQ and Guidelines - Start Here

As for individual person support, I charge for that and if you want rates use the contact form at http://by-expression.com/contact

For an Expression Web forum without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Monday, May 13, 2013 6:14 PM
  • "Can you assist in letting me know how to fix the problem? "

Not a clue other than "replace those behaviors with something else".  You haven't provided a link or told us what you are using Java for.  I can say that modern CSS or javascript can do most of what needs done in a webpage, other than database access or playing specific types of media.

• Edited by KathyW2 Monday, May 13, 2013 6:54 PM
    Monday, May 13, 2013 6:52 PM
  • FWIW, Java was almost always used for FrontPage hover buttons which are very easy to replace with standard HTML-CSS and there are plenty of tutorials on how to do it in the learning resources section of the FAQ.

Monday, May 13, 2013 6:56 PM
  • Where can I find the FAQ and is it possible to email you directly to ans another question?

This is not a free private consultancy. We are volunteers who come here to assist others. If you wish a personal consult, contact contributors personally through their signature or profile contact mechanisms to negotiate rates and conditions.

The FAQ are at Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here.

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, May 13, 2013 8:08 PM
  • Cheryl

The open source Eclipse package can work with Java.

Its available for Windows.

Good lord, Vegan! This has nothing to do with the issue, and is not a reply to the OP's question you quoted.

Once again, you have shown yourself to be posting complete non sequiturs just so you can spam the forum with your sig. And you are still touting that complete lie about the number of MVPs you hold, despite the fact that there are several people here who hold ten or more MVPs by your criterion. Will you just please go the hell away?

Monday, May 13, 2013 8:19 PM
  • This was the perfect question to elicit lots of speculation as to WTF the OP was actually talking about.  Not enough information plus a likely misuse of jargon. During such dialogs the cream usually floats to the bottom. 

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:34 AM
  • paladyn,

The reason for the request was to see if my contact could contract Cheryl or someone to fix this.  It would be better through a private email than through this forum.  We are not looking for a freebe.  Everything cost money!

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:10 PM
  • Tiderunner, as I recall, FP2003 didn't use Java based hover buttons, although earlier versions may have done.

Could you therefore, as asked several times, provide us a link to the live site so that we can take a look at the code and verify what is going on.

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Complete Web
    expression(web.blog)

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:50 PM
  • I wish I could.  It is a secure site.  I was able to see the issue using a web meeting.  I am trying to get some screen shots.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:55 PM
  • Screen shots won't help at all.  We don't need to see a picture, we need to see the actual site.  At that point we can also see the code and markup and CSS driving the page, not just what the page looks like in a browser.

You will need to work with someone who has access to the actual site.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:22 PM
  • Tiderunner, as I recall, FP2003 didn't use Java based hover buttons, although earlier versions may have done.

Could you therefore, as asked several times, provide us a link to the live site so that we can take a look at the code and verify what is going on.

Ian Haynes

Has Microsoft ever done anything with Java? Did you mean to say JavaScript?
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Ian, I believe Java hover buttons were replaced with JavaScript hover buttons in FP 2002 thought it might have been 2000. I know the 1990s versions used Java for hovers and I have run into FP created sites that still used Java as recently as 2 years ago. I sent a polite note to the webmaster of the site suggesting that they replace the navigation since there was none on the site without  having Java installed.

TB, when Microsoft bought FrontPage from Vermeer Java was used in several bits. It continued to be used at least through FP 1998 and possibly 2000. There was a major overhaul in the FPSE with FP 2002 and after that there was no Java applets left.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:10 PM
  • Java Hover Buttons (often referred to as Hoover buttons, because they suck) were in FrontPage 97 up to FP2000/FP2002). There was also a Java banner rotater.

Navigation view and javascript rollover buttons came with FP98
    FP2003 introduced javascript Interactive Buttons, and dropped Java.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:16 PM
  • Thanks Ronx, I stand corrected since I thought the Java based hover buttons were replaced with JavaScript in FP 2002.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:48 PM
  • The reason for the request was to see if my contact could contract Cheryl or someone to fix this.  It would be better through a private email than through this forum.  We are not looking for a freebe.  Everything cost money!

Right;, no problem. I hope that you understand that we do get quite a few folks who come here believing that we're MS employees, and that they can get private consultations through the forum. We also have kind of an unwritten policy here among the regular contributors that we do not actively solicit business through the forum. That's why I recommended contacting one or more of the contributors either through the links in their sigs, if any, or those in their individual profiles. No offense was intended; just an explanation of what you could do to initiate a consultation.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:08 PM