Information Rights Management (IRM) - SharePoint Foundation 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have noticed that the option to configure IRM is available under the Security section in Central Administration in SharePoint Foundation 2013.  I always thought that IRM was a SharePoint Server or Enterprise feature and not available in the Foundation version. 

Can someone confirm that it can be used in SharePoint Foundation 2013 as I cannot find any documentation that refers discusses IRM and SharePoint Foundation? 

Thank you,

Rumi

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 9:58 PM

Answers

• You must implement AD RMS.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Saturday, August 5, 2017 4:09 AM

All replies

• It supports AD RMS, but does not support Azure RMS. No further improvements are being made in AD RMS and there were no changes between Windows Server 2012 R2 and 2016 for AD RMS.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sharepoint-online-service-description.aspx#bkmk_FeaturesOnPremise

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 9:59 PM
  • Thank you, Trevor!  So, if we have an AD RMS, we can implement Information Rights Management on a SharePoint Foundation 2013 farm?  Would you be able to point me to some documentation as to what is all required, configuration, etc?

Rumi

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 10:05 PM
  • Hello:

In order to use IRM in SharePoint Foundation 2013, is AD RMS required?  The reason I'm asking is that in Central Admin, you have the option to specify an RMS server per screen shot.  We currently do not have an AD RMS in our forest and there are no plans by the AD team to implement AD RMS.  Therefore, I am trying to understand if we I can implement a standalone RMS environment where SharePoint IRM can leverage?

I hope someone can advise.  Thank you!

Rumi

Friday, August 4, 2017 11:25 PM
  • You must implement AD RMS.

Trevor Seward

Saturday, August 5, 2017 4:09 AM