Bug - Server Tag not well formed RRS feed

• Question

• User659414910 posted

It seems that IIS is getting confused if the text "RunAtServer" occurs anywhere in an ASPX page after a less-than sign, even if the context is completely appropriate.  For example, this very tiny snippet returns "The Server Tag is not well formed":

<%@ Page Language="C#" %>
    <html>
    <body>
    	<script type="text/javascript">
    		if (1 < 2) alert('no bug');	// RunAtServer
    	</script>
    </body>
    </html>

As you can see, there is no server tag that is malformed.  It's just javascript with a comment.  This example demonstrates that it doesn't even have to be on the same line - this also triggers the error:

<html>
    <body>
    		if (1 <= 2) alert('no bug');
    		// the text can be way down on the page.
    		// blahblahblahblah   RunAtServer - this text triggers the error
    	</script>
    </body>
    </html>

Changing the comparison from  1 <= 2   to  1 == 1  prevents the error because the < is apparently what IIS is seeing as a server tag, WHEN it's followed by "RunAtServer".  This also fails, showing that it can just be < and not <= that triggers:

<html>
    <body>
    // this dataModel is actually being auto-generated
    var dataModel = { RunAtServer: 'SomeOtherServer', Servers: ['SomeServer', 'SomeOtherServer'] };
    for(var i=0; i<dataModel.Servers.length; i++) {
    if (dataModel.Servers[i] == dataModel.RunAtServer) { alert('Found the server'); }
    }
    </script>
    </body>
    </html>

This does NOT fail (I changed "RunAtServer" to "RunAtSrver"):

<html>
    <body>
    		var dataModel = { RunAtSrver: 'SomeOtherServer', Servers: ['SomeServer', 'SomeOtherServer'] };  
    			if (dataModel.Servers[i] == dataModel['RunAtSrver']) { alert('Found the server'); }
    		}
    	</script>
    </body>
    </html>

Also, the bug can be prevented by putting a greater-than sign in a comment before the use of RunAtServer:

<html>
    <body>
    		var dataModel = { RunAtServer: 'SomeOtherServer', Servers: ['SomeServer', 'SomeOtherServer'] };  
    			// >    This prevents the bug from occurring
    			if (dataModel.Servers[i] == dataModel['RunAtServer']) { alert('Found the server'); }
    		}
    	</script>
    </body>
    </html>

This may seem like a minor issue, and admittedly it probably is in the grand scheme of things..   but it's pretty inconvenient because in my case "RunAtServer" is actually a data model property that is being automatically generated and is used throughout my code base, so I'm going to have to change my data model in a lot of places.  If this was generated by a third party API or something, I'd have to go thru convulsions to make it work, such as adding the // >   in a comment after every use of a less-than sign, or building the variable name from parts (eg var vName = ['Run', 'At', 'Server'].join('')]) and then referencing the variable indirectly every time (dataModel[vName]).

Sunday, March 29, 2020 3:03 PM

All replies

• User1535942433 posted

Hi mbray@presidio.com,

Accroding to your description,as far as I think,the < character cannot appear in the Javascript, as it would be interpreted as the beginning of an XHTML tag.So I suggest you could RunArServer as a global variable and use it's variable name.

More details,you could refer to below codes:

var a = "RunAtServer";
        	if (1 <= 2) alert('no bug');
    		// the text can be way down on the page.
    		// blahblahblahblah   a - this text triggers the error
    	</script>

Best regards,

Yijing Sun

Monday, March 30, 2020 7:59 AM