none
Fails while parsing OneNote file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

We received a *.one file from our customer and experience difficulties to read it. 

The problem is with ReadOnlyObjectDeclaration2LargeRefCountFND described in ONESTORE, chapter 2.5.30.

ReadOnlyObjectDeclaration2LargeRefCountFND item has FileChunkReference and hash value for referenced data.
    Also the file contains HashedChunkDescriptor2FND for the same FileChunkReference.

Problems:
    1. I don't understand how to use the hash value within ReadOnlyObjectDeclaration2LargeRefCountFND item.
        For every such item in the file I observe discrepancy between present hash value and hash value calculated over provided data.
    2. There is a HashedChunkDescriptor2FND item providing the hash value for the same FileChunkReference.
        And this hash value is different from the value within ReadOnlyObjectDeclaration2LargeRefCountFND.
        How this situation can be explained?
    3. For some ReadOnlyObjectDeclaration2LargeRefCountFND items calculated hash value doesn't match the own hash value but matches the hash value provided via corresponding HashedChunkDescriptor2FND item. But in file from our customer calculated hash value doesn't match both provided hash values...

It would be great to get clarification regarding how these items should be processed.

A couple of interesting observations:
    1. If just skip validation of hashes and print parsed document as pdf(our library has such feature) then the pdf content is matched with the one displayed by OneNote app.
    2. If open the file using OneNote app and save it then new file is successfully processed by our library.

I got permission from our customer to share the file but only privately.

Monday, June 24, 2019 8:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Alexei, 

For the benefit of the community, I'm following up on this thread as well, as we concluded offline that without a reproducible scenario, and based on the information in the file format, we have to consider this file in some way randomly corrupt. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Friday, September 13, 2019 9:38 PM

All replies

• Hi AlexeiSo:

I have alerted the open specifications team regarding your issue. A member of the team will be in touch soon.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Monday, June 24, 2019 10:59 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks!
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:17 AM
  • Hi Alex, 

Thanks for bringing the question to us. Can you tell us how the .one file was generated? Was it saved by OneNote desktop or downloaded by OneNote Online? Do you know the versions of OneNote used? This will help determine what might be the issue with the format. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:18 AM
  • Hello, Tom!

1. I don't know how the file was generated. And, it seems, our customer also doesn't know too: he also got the file from his own customer. So if it is importan to know then it can take some time.
    2. I know only that this file is in regular OneNote format described by ONESTORE specification.

I can share the file by using any non-public communication channel.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 1:46 PM
  • Hey Alexei, 

I apologize for the delay in posting a response. I will go ahead and ask for the .one file but will take a look and see if I can tell how it was generated. Please send me the original not the one after loading into OneNote desktop (obviously). 

Please send me an email to dochelp at Microsoft dot com, reference this thread's URL and my name. I will provide information to transfer the file to me. 

Tom

Friday, June 28, 2019 11:48 PM
  • Hi Alexei, 

For the benefit of the community, I'm following up on this thread as well, as we concluded offline that without a reproducible scenario, and based on the information in the file format, we have to consider this file in some way randomly corrupt. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer

Friday, September 13, 2019 9:38 PM