none
Sharepoint 2013 Visual Studio Workflows RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on SharePoint 2013 Visual Studio Workflows.  but I am not getting good material and references on internet.  Can somebody help me out.

I am working on Declarative State Machine.

Thanks In Advance.

Adnan

Monday, October 27, 2014 4:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that you want to develop Declarative State Machine Workflows using Visual Studio in SharePoint 2013.

Microsoft has introduced the concept of stages. These are containers in the workflow that allow you to structure the workflow to flow from one stage to another. The use of stages mean that you can create a workflow very similar to a state machine workflow (which is why we don’t have state machine workflows in 2013, per se).

We will use sequence to represent workflow stages in Visual Studio. This is similar to how SharePoint Designer handles each stage, i.e. each stage is equivalent to a separate sequence in Visual Studio. Please refer to: Creating Project Workflows using Visual Studio 2012

More information:

Workflow Changes in SharePoint Designer 2013

Best Regards,

Linda Li

Linda Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Lindali Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by JasonGuo Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:07 AM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Adnan,

Please go through below msdn link for step by step guide on this.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj163199(v=office.15).aspx#bkm_Developing

Regards

Soni K

Monday, October 27, 2014 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that you want to develop Declarative State Machine Workflows using Visual Studio in SharePoint 2013.

Microsoft has introduced the concept of stages. These are containers in the workflow that allow you to structure the workflow to flow from one stage to another. The use of stages mean that you can create a workflow very similar to a state machine workflow (which is why we don’t have state machine workflows in 2013, per se).

We will use sequence to represent workflow stages in Visual Studio. This is similar to how SharePoint Designer handles each stage, i.e. each stage is equivalent to a separate sequence in Visual Studio. Please refer to: Creating Project Workflows using Visual Studio 2012

More information:

Workflow Changes in SharePoint Designer 2013

Best Regards,

Linda Li

Linda Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Lindali Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by JasonGuo Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:07 AM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:54 AM
  • Your link describes how to add stages INTO a sequence, since a sequence is NOT a stage from SPD, since it does not have the stage transition part etc...Your link also talks about Project Server 2013, if you are on SharePoint Server 2013 you won't find the specified DLL and you won't find "EnterStage" activity either.

Seems like there is a huge lack of information about SharePoint 2013 workflows in visual studio. Exporting SPD 2013 workflows to Visual Studio, using stages in Visual Studio, can't find anything properly explained on the web...

Thursday, January 15, 2015 4:39 PM