Dotnetnuke and asp.net RRS feed

• Question

• User2000779856 posted

Hi, 
    I am new to asp.net and have been only working for 6months. My question is, I have multiple websites. I want to integrate dotnetnuke with them so the about pages/home page/ contact us page can be done by dot net nuke.

So the users will be responsible for their own website.

1)I was wondering if its possible to do so? if yes an example would be awesome

2) if I can use one installation of dotnetnuke to manage all these websites?

Thanks

P.S. all these websites read from one database which is separate from the dotnetnukewebsite

Monday, January 31, 2011 10:20 AM

Answers

• User-1376692305 posted

Still I suggest you not to use the dotnet nuke!!! If you have developed your own controls then use it directly via master page concepts...

Because in DNN they have their own controls (very sophisticated )which are inherited via dll and its very diffficult toh customize them...For example in their regestration process they stored data in 8 differrent tables via many stored procedures so very difficult toh handle that in terms that you cannot make your controls interact with their database !!!Just to know how many sp's have called in registration you have to struggle profiler......

And if you want to use their skin file then just make your own ...themes like them!!!

Please mark as answer..if this helps you !!!

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 1:42 PM
  • User-1549551917 posted

sounds good to me!

I'd still also check out Umbraco, because they definitely allow for having many web sites/apps under one umbrella and their documentation is less intense than DNN.

Good luck - I've only developed on CMS app so far, but haven't tackled anything too sophisticated yet

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 1:50 PM

All replies

• User-1549551917 posted

I'm sure it's possible, but I personally found DotNetNuke's documentation to be overwhelming.

Is Umbraco an option for you? I KNOW it can be done with umbraco and their doc seems to be a little easier, plus lots of tutorial videos etc.

http://umbraco.org/

Monday, January 31, 2011 12:38 PM
  • User-1376692305 posted

I recently developed an application on DotnetNuke platform ...

But as far as I can concern about ur problem you dont need to use open source technology ...

You want that the user is capable of all the thing soy dont you use the FCK editor or RTE in the admin panel of the applications ....

and store the data in some table and the time of fetching the data you can use literal control to render all the HTML stuff but be sure that literal should be Transform...

For integrating the RTE(Rich Text Editior) or FCK editor you just have to attach the reference (.dll)in your application...

I am suggesting you this approch becouse in dotnetNuke there is there own database and table and there is only one page in this application all the pages aregenerated via database having tab id's... and if you have deveoped your application it is difficult for you to manage your UI in that page for all the  pages......

and Yes if you ask if this is possible so you can In DNN host setting you can create for more than one website by adding another portal...

Please mark as answer if this help,s You.....

Monday, January 31, 2011 12:54 PM
  • User-1549551917 posted

yes go with this answer - much better than mine!!

Monday, January 31, 2011 1:05 PM
  • User2000779856 posted

The reason I want to used DOTNETNUKE is so we can use there skins. I have the controls developed so  i can just drop them off in any page. 

Monday, January 31, 2011 2:12 PM
  • User-1376692305 posted

Still I suggest you not to use the dotnet nuke!!! If you have developed your own controls then use it directly via master page concepts...

Because in DNN they have their own controls (very sophisticated )which are inherited via dll and its very diffficult toh customize them...For example in their regestration process they stored data in 8 differrent tables via many stored procedures so very difficult toh handle that in terms that you cannot make your controls interact with their database !!!Just to know how many sp's have called in registration you have to struggle profiler......

And if you want to use their skin file then just make your own ...themes like them!!!

Please mark as answer..if this helps you !!!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 1:42 PM
  • User-1549551917 posted

sounds good to me!

I'd still also check out Umbraco, because they definitely allow for having many web sites/apps under one umbrella and their documentation is less intense than DNN.

Good luck - I've only developed on CMS app so far, but haven't tackled anything too sophisticated yet

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 1:50 PM
  • User107854475 posted

Sir I Want to know one thing that ... If i Develop an website using open source like dotnet nuke or any other open source !!!  then can u tell me that if i dont purchase their liencence then my website is expired or not after some time like after one year ...??  Smile

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:09 AM