none
Is server shutdown bad for the server RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Server 2008 R2

This particular server is used infrequently and by few people.  Its sole purpose is to run a vendor application during missions.  Other than mission time and mission preparations no one depends on it.  I am always looking for ways to reduce power consumption. Another person fussed at me saying that servers are not supposed to be shut down.  He would not put forth a reason.

I have found several threads in several places that state a server is designed to be on 24/7.  All computers are basically designed to be on 24/7.  Is a server "designed" to not be shut down?  What evidence is there to support the concept that servers are "more designed" to be on 24/7 than other computers.

Is there any reason to not shut down the server?

~jag77 We need to know what a dragon is before we study its anatomy. (Bryan Kelly, 2010)

• Edited by JAG77 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:28 PM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 10:32 PM

All replies

• Over four months have passed with no response.  Is it the case that none of the readers can speak to the concept of if Microsoft Windows Server 2008 is designed to not be shut down?

~jag77 We need to know what a dragon is before we study its anatomy. (Bryan Kelly, 2010)

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 2:16 AM
  • Hi,

i don`t think that someone does a scientific research on this behaviour. :D

A Personal Computer`s hardware is not designed to run 24/7. Some parts of servers like the harddisk (not ssd) are designed to run 24/7/365 and you get a guarantee on this.

So, if you power off a server or a computer or something else which consumes electric, the life of this hardware will be longer. 

It`s more a hardware related topic. Every "thing" that consumes electric power and/or is moving (like a hdd or a fan) uses itself. 

[edit] Sorry, i forgot something. If it is a windows server and its bound to a Active Directory Domain, you should check after which period of time the computer loses its membership .. as far as i remember the standard is 180 days.

Friday, September 22, 2017 7:49 AM