Database Application Design Concerns RRS feed

• Question

• I am redesigning an Invoice Log application that i had previously designed in Access.  One thing that Access took care of for me that i am confused on is concurrency.

my original plan was to build custom invoice and invoice collection class load it when the program opened and work off it. or load a dataset and work off the data in it. 

however im not sure how to handle concurrency in these scenarios.  since access shared the same file but i would have say 6 processors opening 6 different apps and then loading 6 different datasets so if they made a change in say two of them how would i handle this?  

Coding 4 God!
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 8:52 PM

Answers

• I don't think Link was being rude nor condescending. He used "managed" in the context of choosing to use Sql Server versus say Oracle or MySql... Easy big fella, there are many here from many cultures trying to use English as the common language.

The platform you choose will depend on the research you do and your preference as to cost, functionality, hosting requirements etc... Your question needs more details from you on how your users will access data either a client/server app, ASP web page etc... and to answer those you will need to do a brief overview of what the main database engines offer.

Namely: Sql Server, Sql Express ( free ), Oracle, MySql, PostgresSql, and all the others.

• Edited by Michael L. Wagner Friday, September 9, 2011 4:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by WStoreyII Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:48 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 3:19 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If you want to use SQL Server, please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189132.aspx

Kind regards,

aelassas.free.fr
    • Edited by Link.fr Friday, September 9, 2011 8:05 AM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 9:33 PM
  • forgive me link.fr for not being an sql expert and a newbie i will managed with or without your help despite your extremely unnecessary comment.  however i would like to avoid a lot of the trial and error pit falls that come with being a newbie.  

i had found that article earlier before posting my question.  i liked the idea of pessimistic concurrency and the definition seemed good where i am confused is how this is implemented when in c#.  

say for example i use the dataset method each instance of the app opened would create a new dataset.   so i am unsure how i would lock the file in this case.  in access everyone is sharing one file.  would it be better to set the app up so that everyone reads from one datatset?

Coding 4 God!
    Friday, September 9, 2011 2:55 AM
  • I don't think Link was being rude nor condescending. He used "managed" in the context of choosing to use Sql Server versus say Oracle or MySql... Easy big fella, there are many here from many cultures trying to use English as the common language.

The platform you choose will depend on the research you do and your preference as to cost, functionality, hosting requirements etc... Your question needs more details from you on how your users will access data either a client/server app, ASP web page etc... and to answer those you will need to do a brief overview of what the main database engines offer.

Namely: Sql Server, Sql Express ( free ), Oracle, MySql, PostgresSql, and all the others.

• Edited by Michael L. Wagner Friday, September 9, 2011 4:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by WStoreyII Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:48 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 3:19 AM