none
Packaging apps for Windows App Store

Question

• I have created two apps using Microsoft Visual Basic 14 within the Visual Studio Professional 2015 environment The apps are be used for the English Sport of Cricket. Cricket is a bat and ball sport, same concept as Baseball, the object of the game is to score runs, however that is where the similarity ends.

When I attempt to submit my apps to the Windows App Store for sale I am requested to package my apps and submit them in one of the following file extensions (.xap, .appx, .appxbundle, .appxupload). Though my research I can only find reference to the file extensions in reference to apps written in xaml. Because xaml is a markup language and has limited mathematical capabilities even if a math converter is used. Because of the mathematical complexity of the apps it would have been very difficult if not impossible to create these apps in xaml. This is why I used Visual Basic to create these apps. All code contained in the apps is Visual Basic using a Windows Form Application, the apps have multiple forms.

However I cannot seem to find a way to package my apps and submit them to the Windows App Store.

I would very much appreciate your help on this matter.

Regards

Terry Harrison

Monday, March 21, 2016 6:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

If i correctly understand you didn't create your project using visual studio windows store apps template  (File->New->Project->VisualBasic->Windows->Universal->Blank App)? Instead you create  your project using Visual Basic  Win Form App template ?

for first read this 

What's a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app?

In UWP apps you can also use Visual Basic for mathematical capabilities

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 7:18 AM
  • Hi Azat

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I used a Visual Basic Win Form App template. I can easily publish the apps (Build>Publish) this creates the following items.

1. Folder called Application Files
    2. HSA T20.application
    3. setup.exe

When I put the above items into a folder and copy and install them to another device running either windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 the apps run and perform fine.

These apps are complex with over 20000 lines of code yes 20000 lines of code, understandably I seriously do not want to rewrite these apps. Want I need to know is how to package the above items or a folder containing them and then submit the apps to the Windows App Store.

• Edited by monaro1961 Tuesday, March 22, 2016 7:01 PM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:49 PM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry but currently only apps that created using UWP template could be uploaded to the Windows Store.

Microsoft working  for creating tool which let developers to upload their Desktop app to the Windows Store but I don't know it will or not.

The only way to upload your app to the store create new UWP app and maybe you can reuse most part of your written code.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 6:35 AM
  • Hi Azat

The name of the tool is Project Centennial known as Project C developed by John Sheehan. A release date has knot been announced as yet. For more information you can use the link given to me by Dave Smits on this forum.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/06/windows_10_project_centennial

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 6:48 PM
  • Hi monaro1961

The toll what you want already has been announced and you can download it from here 

Desktop App Converter Preview (Project Centennial)

• Marked as answer by monaro1961 Thursday, April 14, 2016 4:59 AM
    Sunday, April 10, 2016 8:52 PM