Is it possible to attach VS debugger to RDLC code RRS feed

• Question

• User1012222610 posted

I'm adding a few functions to the Custom code window in the RDLC designer in Visual Studio 2012 for an ASP.Net web application report that is using the LocalReport object (Microsoft.Report.Webforms version).

To debug my web app I usually attach the VS debugger after I've already started the web app on my development machine.  To debug the code inside the RDLC during testing, what are the correct settings in the Visual Studio "Attach to Process" debug dialog?  Also, I'm not seeing any way to mark a code line as a breakpoint, so what's the correct way to get thrown into the debugger (assuming it can be attached).

My web app is running .Net 4.  I'm not using the report viewer control -- I'm calling the LocalReport.Render() to generate PDF or Word docs, that are getting streamed to the browser.   Because it's a local report, I'm using object data instead of SQL server.

Thanks!

Monday, December 14, 2015 5:19 PM

All replies

• User-219423983 posted

Hi dkharing,

Full meaning of RDLC is Report Definition Language Client-side. It is the extension of report file. It is used to create report s using Microsoft reporting technology. These files are created by the Visual Studio 2005 version of Report Designer. RDLC reports can be executed directly by the ReportViewer control in client side. For more things, you could have a look at the following link.

http://cybarlab.com/rdlc

About how to debug the RDLC code, I think it’s not easy to do it, as the same with that you could not easy to debug the Win Form front page. So, I think you’d better pay more attention the datasource of the RDLC.

The following link provides a demo about dynamically binding data to Report with RDLC and you could have a look.

http://www.aspsnippets.com/Articles/How-to-create-RDLC-report-step-by-step-in-ASPNet-using-C-and-VBNet.aspx

Best Regards,

Weibo Zhang

Friday, January 29, 2016 6:04 AM