SQL 2008 R2 Clustered Named Instance RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a two node sql 2008 r2 cluster. I need to install two new named instances on that cluster. I'm running into a "thing" and I just wanted to verify that I'm doing this correctly. During the install of the new instance, in the same dialog as where you give the instance a name, it's requiring me to provide a "SQL Server Network Name." If I provide a name then I must attach to the server as NETWORK_NAME\INSTANCE_NAME. Is there a way to create a new named instance in a cluster where you can use CLUSTER_NAME\INSTANCE_NAME? Example: If the default instance is accessible via "SQLCLUSTER", can I setup a new instance and access it by "SQLCLUSTER\INSTANCE2?" Like in non-clustered environments. I hope this makes sense. Let me know if more you would like more explanation. TIA
    Monday, June 13, 2011 9:41 PM

Answers

• Hi CVDale,

Here is an example, I guess it could explain your questions:
    A 2 node clustered system exists using the following details,
    Node1                            Node 2
    Name = CL-01-001                Name = CL-01-002
    IP = 10.200.1.17                IP = 10.200.1.18

Windows Cluster Name = CLU-01-001 IP = 10.200.1.12

Default SQL Instance          Named SQL Instance
    Network Name = DB-01-011      Network Name = DB-01-013
    Instance Name =               Instance Name = MSUAT

You can see the complexity added to the system as there are now more names and IP addresses used for the same computers. In the clustered environment it is important to remember to disregard the node names and IP addresses when connecting to SQL Server. Everything is referenced by the Network name. In the clustered environment the Network Name and note the machine name forms the instance prefix. To logon to the default instance you use DB-01-011 To logon to the named instance you use DB-01-013\MSUAT Practice these by using names of your own to substitute the items above and ensure you understand default and named instances in both clustered and non clustered environments.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:44 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 1:36 AM