none
"cannot access the settings for the selected virtual machine" on all my guests after Host W2k8 joined a different domain. RRS feed

• Question

• Now that I joined a different domain I am now getting "cannot access the settings for the selected virtual machine" on all my virtual machines I created with Hyper-v.

I so hope Microsoft has not tied the security of Hyper-V virtual machines to the domain they are created in!!

Does anyone know if you move your Host 2008 server to a different domain are the virtual machines hosed!???

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:23 PM

All replies

• I'm guessing here, because I can't even get that far in my Hyper-V installation, but...

I'm fairly certain that the VHD at least will be fine.  You may need to recreate the VM settings, though.  I know in 2005, if there was a problem with the user account used to start the VM (required if you wanted automatic startup), you would get a similar error message.  You might also check the file-level security on the VM folders to make sure that users on the current domain are allowed access.

Dan

Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:41 PM
  • I am sure the vhd is good. The problem is all my work went in the avhd (snapshots). I am pretty sure I have to rejoin my computer back to the original domain and then Hyper-v will attach to these folders. 

Microsoft did not design this Hyper-v very well for moving a relative folder from hard drive to hard drive. Nor did they design a clean way to clone a virtual machine off from a certain snapshot. You actually have to export the machine out and remove certain snapshots to merge the avhd (snapshots) back to the original vhd. Crazy! I am start to run VMCONVERT (vmware) to take my clones. I am think about trying a vmware (vmdk) to Microsoft (vhd) utility to then write out the new vhd.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 5:12 PM