none
Confused about Office 2013 and Office 365 shared add-ins support RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Our company developing COM-add-in for Word and Outlook (shared COM-add-in). Everything was great until release of Office 2013. We installed Office 2013 (with a normal msi installer), tested that everything is ok, but unfortunately it is not. We receive many user reports that they can't install our add-in on Office 2013. We asked if they have Office click-to-run version, but they answer that they not. We then tried to buy Office 365 subscription and found out that it is installed as click-to-run, but user can't say is it "normal" office or click-to run. When Office application starts it says just Word 2013 or Outlook 2013 without any words about click-to-run. About window accessible through the File menu also says that it is Office 2013 x64, Office 365 Home Premium subscription.

Is there any table that lists what versions of Office support shared add-ins and what Office 365 subscriptions allow to install full (msi-based) version of Office? So we can send it to our clients.

I found only this 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj900171.aspx

But it doesn't list Home Premium Office 365. And I don't understand how, for example, Office 365 Pro Plus can support add-ins if it still runs in it's own small virtual machine? Or those subscriptions just allow to install normal (msi-based) Office? Or by add-ins they mean new JavaScript apps for Office?

I am very confused and disappointed.

We were going to make app for Office instead of shared add-ins, but API is very limited and I am not sure that we can accomplish that.
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 11:05 AM

Answers

• Hi BelikovSergey,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

This is a known issue that can be seen here.

>Is there any table that lists what versions of Office support shared add-ins and what Office 365 subscriptions allow to install full (msi-based) version of Office? So we can send it to our clients.

You could suggest the customer use MSI-based Office.

The steps in Click-to-Run: Switch to using an MSI-based Office edition will be easy to follow.

Switch from Office Click-to-Run to MSI-based Office

The license is the same. You do not need a new Product Key. If you have any questions, contact Microsoft Support.

1. Save all work, and then close all programs.
    2. In Control Panel, open Programs and Features to see a list of installed programs.
    3. Click Microsoft Office Click-To-Run 2010, and then click Uninstall.
    4. To remove Microsoft Office Click-to-Run, click Yes.
    5. Go to the Microsoft Office alternative fulfillment page.
    6. Click My account.
    7. Click Download, and then click Advanced options.
    8. Follow the instructions.
    9. To install the MSI-based Microsoft Office edition, run SingleImage.exe.
    10. When prompted, type your Product Key to continue.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, June 28, 2013 9:59 AM
  • Hi Sergey

Office 2013 Click-to-run is not the same as the 2010 version, that did not support programming interfaces. The 2013 Click-to-run does not run in a virtual environment. I was on the Office 2013 beta, tested the downloadable installation (the 2013 version of Click-to-run)  and it did support programming interfaces and add-ins.

There are versions of Office 2013 that do not support the old interfaces: the "web apps" that run on SharePoint and the Windows RT (tablet) version. But all the other ones should...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, June 28, 2013 11:58 AM

All replies

• Hi BelikovSergey,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

This is a known issue that can be seen here.

>Is there any table that lists what versions of Office support shared add-ins and what Office 365 subscriptions allow to install full (msi-based) version of Office? So we can send it to our clients.

You could suggest the customer use MSI-based Office.

The steps in Click-to-Run: Switch to using an MSI-based Office edition will be easy to follow.

Switch from Office Click-to-Run to MSI-based Office

The license is the same. You do not need a new Product Key. If you have any questions, contact Microsoft Support.

1. Save all work, and then close all programs.
    2. In Control Panel, open Programs and Features to see a list of installed programs.
    3. Click Microsoft Office Click-To-Run 2010, and then click Uninstall.
    4. To remove Microsoft Office Click-to-Run, click Yes.
    5. Go to the Microsoft Office alternative fulfillment page.
    6. Click My account.
    7. Click Download, and then click Advanced options.
    8. Follow the instructions.
    9. To install the MSI-based Microsoft Office edition, run SingleImage.exe.
    10. When prompted, type your Product Key to continue.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, June 28, 2013 9:59 AM
  • Hi Sergey

Office 2013 Click-to-run is not the same as the 2010 version, that did not support programming interfaces. The 2013 Click-to-run does not run in a virtual environment. I was on the Office 2013 beta, tested the downloadable installation (the 2013 version of Click-to-run)  and it did support programming interfaces and add-ins.

There are versions of Office 2013 that do not support the old interfaces: the "web apps" that run on SharePoint and the Windows RT (tablet) version. But all the other ones should...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, June 28, 2013 11:58 AM