none
when would a chart drawing part have a relationship to a chart part? RRS feed

• Question

• According to the spec, a chart drawing part can have an explicit relationship to a chart part. When would this happen? Under what circumstances? Is it possible to get such a document from Microsoft Office?

my blog - Tea Time with Meowkins

Friday, May 17, 2013 1:15 AM

Answers

• Hi squebler,

From 14.2.1:

This part is permitted to also be the target of an explicit relationship in a Chart Drawing (§14.2.2) part, if the chart that points at this Chart Drawing part is the target of a relationship from a Chartsheet part. In other words, the only time a chart can embed another chart is if the parent chart is part of a chartsheet.

So, if you add a chart sheet and use that as a basis or to embed a chart in another sheet, then these relationships will exist. 

I don't know if that really helps you but you may have to try this to see it in the resulting SpreadsheetML and DrawingML package.

Tom

• Marked as answer by squebler Monday, May 20, 2013 11:38 PM
    Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:18 AM
  • Oh - thanks, I missed that part in 14.2.1. You get this if you move multiple charts to a single chart sheet.

my blog

Monday, May 20, 2013 11:38 PM

All replies

• Hi squebler,

Thanks for your question about chart part relationships.  One of the Open Specifications team will post soon to assist you.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Friday, May 17, 2013 2:29 AM
  • Hi squebler,

If I understand your question correctly, there is an example of this in ISO 29500-1 14.2.2  "Chart Drawing Part".  Is this what you are asking about?  If so, please clarify your question.

Tom

Friday, May 17, 2013 8:51 PM
  • Yep - Chart Drawing Part is what I'm asking about. This is what it says in the spec:

A Chart Drawing part is permitted to have explicit relationships to the following parts defined by ISO/IEC 29500:

• Chart (§14.2.1)

A Chart Drawing part shall not have any implicit or explicit relationships to any other part defined by ISO/IEC 29500.

I also checked the implementation notes and the SDK documentation, and I'm wondering when you would get this relationship from Chart Drawing to Chart.

my blog

Sunday, May 19, 2013 4:29 AM
  • Hi squebler,

From 14.2.1:

This part is permitted to also be the target of an explicit relationship in a Chart Drawing (§14.2.2) part, if the chart that points at this Chart Drawing part is the target of a relationship from a Chartsheet part. In other words, the only time a chart can embed another chart is if the parent chart is part of a chartsheet.

So, if you add a chart sheet and use that as a basis or to embed a chart in another sheet, then these relationships will exist. 

I don't know if that really helps you but you may have to try this to see it in the resulting SpreadsheetML and DrawingML package.

Tom

Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:18 AM
  • Oh - thanks, I missed that part in 14.2.1. You get this if you move multiple charts to a single chart sheet.

my blog

Monday, May 20, 2013 11:38 PM