OUTLOOK: "Edit with Microsoft Word" - Comments in Text RRS feed

• Question

• Hi forum members,

I have a problem with Outlook 2003 and VBA:
    With the VBA function MailItem.Reply I create a new reply mail and display it. When the user inserts comments inside the recipients original text, these comments are automatically highlighted (blue and prefixed with the senders name) - like it should be. However if Outlook is configured to use Word as the email editor, comments are not highlighted. But otherwise when the user clicks the "Reply" button, it works as expected.
    So, how do I get highlighted comments in self created emails even if Word is the configured mail editor?
    In other words: What is the difference between the VBA Reply function and the "Reply" button?
    Is there a way to trace the actions behind the "Reply" button?

Thank you for helping
    Bent

Monday, March 6, 2006 4:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Bent,

Here's the response from our support engineer:

According to my test, the result is as yours. When we use reply button, no matter word is configured as mail editor or not, the text always uses forward font. But when we use VBA MailItem.Reply method, when word is configured as mail editor, it does not use forward font (blue), while non-word editor uses forward font.

Based on my experience, using Reply button and using VBA code are different. However, in this scenario, if they have the same behavior, it would be more consistent in user experience. However, it would need changing internal product code. I would suggest that you send mail to mswish@microsoft.com, so our product group knows your concerns and will consider if it will be modified.

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 4:37 PM