Using TF Destroy Multiple Times RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if there's any harm with using the tf destroy command multiple times? For example, I have a TEST branch off of DEV that I use for trying out things that I do not want to do in my DEV branch. When I'm finished with those changes, I'd like to be able to delete the TEST branch, then destroy it permanently. My only concern is, if I perform this process several times over, will I mess up TFS eventually? I've read posts about users not being able to create branches with the same name as a deleted branch, etc. 

Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:22 AM

Answers

• Delete and Destroy are two different operations in TFS. tf delete is a pend change operation in version control, it will not permanently  delete the files from TFS and you can do undo delete operation and get the files back. As the files are not permanently removed in this operation, you will not be able to create with the same name.

Whereas, tf destroy , permanently deletes the version-controlled files from TFS and this destroy action cannot be reversed. It should not be issue if you use tf destroy command multiple times to destroy different set of files.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:22 AM

All replies

• Delete and Destroy are two different operations in TFS. tf delete is a pend change operation in version control, it will not permanently  delete the files from TFS and you can do undo delete operation and get the files back. As the files are not permanently removed in this operation, you will not be able to create with the same name.

Whereas, tf destroy , permanently deletes the version-controlled files from TFS and this destroy action cannot be reversed. It should not be issue if you use tf destroy command multiple times to destroy different set of files.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:22 AM
  • Hi jabell,

Thanks for your post.

Have you took Jehan’s suggestion? 

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, February 14, 2011 4:18 AM