Unable to Download the English Version of Visual C++ 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• When I attempt to download the English version of Visual C++ 2010 Express a yellow band appears at the top of Internet Explorer.  If I am not fast enough it disappears. If I am fast enough I click 'Download File.' The yellow band vanishes and NOTHING HAPPENS!

If I attempt to download the German version of Visual C++ 2010 Express no yellow band appears, instead I am asked if I would like to save or run the file. Why am I unable to download the English version of Visual C++ 2010 Express?

Programmer for Visual C++ 6.0, and Microsoft Office including Access
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 8:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Saint_Bernard,

Thank you for your reply. I think that the "yellow band" that you meant is as the following screen shot, right?

If yes, as I mentioned above, it is designed to help to protect personal security by IE.

Have you tried my suggestion to temporarily lower the default security settings to help downloading? You can reset the default security settings back after you have download Visual Studio 2010 Express products.

If it doesn't work, please try another web browser or some download manager software to download it again.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:51 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 3:49 AM
  • After two restarts and two more attempts at installing Visual C++ 2010 (and after removing Google's Chrome internet browser) it seems as if I finally succeeded in installing Visual C++. (NOTE: At no time did I remove the components which were successfuly installed during the first two attempts.)

Monday, May 24, 2010 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Saint_Bernard,

Thank you for your post.

The "yellow band" that you mentioned is designed to help to protect personal security.
    We should click the bar to make us download the installer of Visual Studio 2010 Express products.

If you don't want this feature, you can turn off it by lowering the default security settings.
    Please launch IE >> Tools >> Internet Options >> "Security" tab >> Custom level >> navigate to "Downloads" >> Enable the option "Automatic prompting for file downloads".

However, we strongly recommend that you leave these security settings at their default level or higher. The default security settings in Internet Explorer are designed to help protect your computer from viruses and from attacks over the Internet.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, May 21, 2010 2:55 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Saint_Bernard Sunday, May 23, 2010 5:47 PM
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:09 AM
  • Obviously you have NOT READ MY POSTING! This is what happens:

1) I go to http://www.Microsoft.com/Express/Downloads/#2010-Visual-CPP
    2) I click on: 'Visual C++'

3) A Combo Box Appears

4) I select: English

5) A Yellow Band Appears Across the Top of IE 8

6) I click the Yellow Band

7) A Menu Appears

8) I select: 'Download File'

9) A Webpage Appears with words 'Thank You' in Large Black Letters

NOTICE: No dialog box apears which requests whether I would like to 'Run' or 'Save' the file. Nothing is downloaded. Nothing is installed.

Prior to writing steps 3 - 9 I went to the website and attempted to download the compiler. Steps 3 - 9 detail what happened after I performed the first two. What did I do incorrectly? I have already removed the 2008 version.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Sorry, step 9 should read:

A webpage appears with the phrase 'Thank you for Downloading' in large BLUE letters

Sunday, May 23, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Hi Saint_Bernard,

Thank you for your reply. I think that the "yellow band" that you meant is as the following screen shot, right?

If yes, as I mentioned above, it is designed to help to protect personal security by IE.

Have you tried my suggestion to temporarily lower the default security settings to help downloading? You can reset the default security settings back after you have download Visual Studio 2010 Express products.

If it doesn't work, please try another web browser or some download manager software to download it again.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:51 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 3:49 AM
  • I have the same problem with Visual C#.

If I catch that yellow band in time and the click Download, it still doesn't work.

I have tried four different browsers, and I have lowered my securitystteings.  Nothing doing.

SJF

Monday, May 24, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Thank you for your response. Your assumption regarding the yellow or gold band was correct. Lowering the security level of IE 8 did not work. (Does IE 8  contain a bug?) However, Google's Chrome Internet browser was able to download the file. Unfortunately my three IE 8 toolbars do not work with Chrome. So I am returning to IE 8 with the hope that IE 8 will eventually have this bug corrected.

Thank you for your assistance!

Monday, May 24, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Just ran into another problem. After restarting my computer I was greeted by a message which reads:

Setup could not install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express - ENU

It continues by listing four components it did not even attempt to install.

Can't say I was surprised.

Monday, May 24, 2010 4:25 PM
  • After two restarts and two more attempts at installing Visual C++ 2010 (and after removing Google's Chrome internet browser) it seems as if I finally succeeded in installing Visual C++. (NOTE: At no time did I remove the components which were successfuly installed during the first two attempts.)

Monday, May 24, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Hi Saint_Bernard,

Thank you for your feedback on this issue.

I'm so glad to hear this good news.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:52 AM
  • Is anyone at Microsoft ever going to fix the problem?

I have tried 2 browsers (IE and Firefox) and with neither one does the download start (nor does the pop-up box asking if I want to save or run appear). All I get is the Thank you (disclaimer screen).

It is interesting that if one selects any language other than English, the save/run box appears.

I would like to use Visual C++ Express 2010 RSN to fix a bug in someone else's program. I promised him I would.

Friday, June 25, 2010 11:11 PM
  • Like several other problems which Windows 7 'inherited' from Windows Vista I believe Microsoft will never correct this problem. Use Google's Chrome Internet browser. It worked for me.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 4:15 AM
  • Thank you. I'll get Chrome and try it.

BTW, does the link to Visual C++ Express (when I get it to work) download the Visual C++ Express compiler or does it download an installer which then gets the Studio 2010 from the Internet (that is way the Professional version works). I'd like to take my laptop to a high speed WiFi to get the compiler and install it offline on my desktop machine at home.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 1:33 AM
  • It downloads 8 or 9 packages of software from the internet. On my 2.66 Quad Core Desktop connected via DSL it took approximately two minutes for the download. Fortunately on the second and third installation it noticed that it had already downloaded everything after reconnecting to the internet.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 6:48 PM