TP2 - anyway of circumventing the requirement for 12 cores? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DL380 Gen 7 which is the only kit I have available for an Azurestack TP2 evaluation.

It meets all hardware requirements other than only have 8 cores rather than the required 12.

I know there was an unofficial method of "fudging" the requirements in TP1 but all the scripts have changed drastically since then with TP2.

I've had a good delve around within many PS1 scripts that there are but not found a method of getting round this.

Appreciate this will be unofficial. So anyway round this or am I out of luck?

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 10:27 AM

All replies

• I found that by modifying the files in the following folder, I was able to install with 8 cores:

C:\CloudDeployment\Configuration\Roles\Infrastructure\BareMetal

I also found that if you tried to install and it failed due to core count, modifying these files has no affect. I had to completely start from scratch. Before running the stack install (after booting to CloudBuilder.vhdx), modify the minimum core count in these files and it should install. Memory info is also stored in there.

I'm sure Microsoft will not recommend modifying any of these minimums...

• Proposed as answer by Johndactone Wednesday, October 5, 2016 6:17 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 4:53 PM
  • As many have surmised, just like Technical Preview 1, modification of the scripts/configuration to workaround checked minimums is not supported.

Furthermore, as we continue to improve overall platform/product functionality future technical previews will likely consume more physical resources. As a result, selecting hardware meeting the “Recommended hardware configuration” is highly encouraged.

Charles Joy [MSFT] https://twitter.com/OrchestratorGuy

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 6:05 PM
  • Thanks all for the replies. Will try that.

And appreciate this is unofficial and the concern about doing this with hardware below recommendations.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 6:52 AM