none
Visual Studio 2017 Performance Improvement Suggestion RRS feed

• Question

• All,

Rather than ask a question, I am using this forum to pass on something I has considerable improved my user experience.

I hope that is appropriate for this forum as otherwise I am not sure where to post it short of starting my own blog.

Visual Studio 2017 speed when debugging has been very slow and have been looking for what seems like forever for a solution.

Today I found an article that suggested I use a local directory to cache symbols.

This is set at Debug > Options > Debugging > Symbols.

When I first looked at my setting, the default was used.

I altered mine to point to a folder on my c drive and suddenly the debugging world is a better place.

The difference for me has been huge.

I hope someone else finds it benefits them too

For the record the article was

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/devops/make-debugging-faster-with-visual-studio/

Monday, August 19, 2019 10:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Kenvin S,

Thank you for sharing your experience here.

To better configure symbols you could also refer to Configure symbol locations and loading options.

Thanks again for sharing and it will be very beneficial for other people who are troubled in this issue.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 4:51 AM
  • Hi Kevin S,

If there are too many files open on your IDE, close some files to see if it helps.

Thanks and Best regards,

E-John

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 5:04 AM