Cosmos DB versus Azure SQL versus Azure Tables RRS feed

• Question

• Given the easy scaling, low maintenance effort of Cosmo DB what use case would someone have to use Azure SQL or Azure Tables instead? 
    Thursday, April 9, 2020 2:16 AM

Answers

• You could have existing applications and logic built on relational databases like Azure SQL that you cannot rewrite and port to Cosmos immediately.

For a project starting from scratch though, cost is one area in my opinion where Azure SQL and Azure Storage Tables have an advantage. 

Lets assume you have a very low throughput use case in your application, instead of a Cosmos Container that costs a minimum of 25$ per container/database, I could store the data in an Azure Storage Table where I am charged only $0.045 per GB per month and about $0.00036 per 10,000 transactions for tables.

This is significantly cheaper than a Cosmos instance.

The same can be implemented using an Azure SQL Server less database and still be cheaper than Cosmos DB.

So it all boils down to your use case, skillset of your team, scaling and reliability needs etc.

Do let us know if you have additional questions.

-

If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread .

• Marked as answer by PuppyButler Thursday, April 9, 2020 8:20 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2020 7:38 AM