none
DataTable ExecuteMode is missing Reader option RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to create a typed data set pointing to an existing stored procedure. I don't need insert or update capability. After I created the dataset and the tableAdapter it can see the parameters and the expected columns returned in the configuration wizard. But when I go the the next step in the wizard the "tabular data" return option is disabled and if I go to the executeMode in the properties window it doesn't have the Reader option. How can I get it to recognize this as something that returns tabular data? Thanks.

Tim Gray

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 4:42 PM

Answers

• Okay, I just figured it out. VB is a little screwy when you use the wizard. Here's how I fixed it:

- Open the data set by double clicking on it
    - In the design pane drag a "TableAdapter" object on to the open space
    - Follow the instructions from there

Once I did that I was able to select a stored procedure that returned tabular data.

You can delete the old TableAdapter that was created via the wizard.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 11:25 PM

All replies

• I am running into that exact same issue "Tabular Data" is grayed out, and on the properties of the function it has "Scalar" and "Nonquery" but is missing the "Reader" option which is what I need. I think it has something to do with the way the "@RETURN_VALUE" is typed, because I see the field listed when I am using the SQL Manager.

The error I recieve is cannot cast System.String to type System.Data.DataRow... If I choose to dump it into a string variable I notice the only thing it is returning is the first field of the row it should be returning.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 11:00 PM
  • Okay, I just figured it out. VB is a little screwy when you use the wizard. Here's how I fixed it:

- Open the data set by double clicking on it
    - In the design pane drag a "TableAdapter" object on to the open space
    - Follow the instructions from there

Once I did that I was able to select a stored procedure that returned tabular data.

You can delete the old TableAdapter that was created via the wizard.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 11:25 PM