conflict issues publishing (after synchronizing web files between different computers) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I move between my laptop and desktop for sometimes extended periods of time. And sometimes, when I publish from my laptop the uploads are fine. Sometimes there are conflicts.. not a big problem.

Recently, I replaced both hard drives (laptop and desktop), synchronized my website files and now find I have huge conflicts when I go to publish. The files on the server are the same as on the local computer but it appears the publishing conflicts are a product of different authors, i.e., publishing from two different machines.

Obviously, the computers have differnt names..
    How can I get around this differnt "author" issue?
    Thanks for any help
    Jim H

Friday, August 26, 2011 4:23 PM

All replies

• I haven't had this situation arise myself, but given the mechanism of metadata management, in this circumstance I would first backup what I have on each computer separately (just in case). Then I would start with the system which has the very latest version of site files and "Publish All" to the remote server. That will sync up that computer and the remote.

Then go to the other machine, and publish down to the local site. That should get those two synced up. Thenceforth, the only conflicts should occur when a file has been changed on one machine since being published from the other. Again, I have not had this situation arise before, and truth be told, prior to EW4 I wouldn't touch EW's publishing with your... er, computer, so my experience with EW publishing is not extensive. But, I believe that will get the job done.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 5:53 PM