Other uses for /CX code?

Question

• Is there any chance we will be able to use the /CX extension syntax for other COM code or is it strictly limited to WinRT code? 

How about for downlevel platforms (i.e. using /CX for COM code running on Windows Vista)?

Also, how much, if any WinRT will we be able to use if we are writing an desktop app (not a full screen metro one)?

Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:28 PM

All replies

• 1 I guess the extension compiles T^ into something that has the same logic as CComPtr<T>, although you may be forced to only use WinRT's Platform::* types in the COM interface. I  think Microsoft actually discourage using the extension to rewrite existing code except when talking to WinRT, and prefer you to stay on the portable standard C++ in your implementation of the WinRT interfaces.

2 check the image at http://channel9.msdn.com/events/BUILD/BUILD2011/TOOL-532T

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:51 PM