none
Word stopped loading my AddIn RRS feed

• Question

• I run my AddIn by starting the debugger for the AddIn and telling the debugger to launch WINWORD.EXE. The AddIn is a .NET DLL (no shim involved as I'm debugging). This has all been working fine for years and suddenly yesterday, it stopped loading it.

1. LoadBehavior=3 in the registry.
    2. My AddIn is not listed in disabled AddIns (nothing is listed there).
    3. Fuslogvw says no bindings are occuring during the start of Word.
    4. I can go into Word options and in the list of AddIns click the box for mine and then it loads immediately.
    5. When I do load through options, then Fuslogvw reports lots of bindings - all successful.
    6. On my home computer it still loads fine - all the same code.

Any ideas? Does Word now silently disable an AddIn if it fails too often (I kill debugging sessions all the time when I'm in the debugger on a breakpoint and know what I need to change).

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Thursday, July 19, 2018 6:56 PM

All replies

• Hello Dave,

What's the .net dll AddIn? Is it a Com AddIn?

You said it stopped working yesterday. Have you recently update your office or operation system?If you did, could reverting to previous office version/uninstalling the update could resolved the issue?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 20, 2018 1:12 AM
  • Hello David,

If UAC is off on your machine, try to turn it on. Here's a citation from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4338419/description-of-the-security-and-quality-rollup-updates-for-net-framewo:

===

An "elevation of privilege" vulnerability exists in .NET Framework that could allow an attacker to elevate their user rights level. To exploit the vulnerability, an attacker would first have to access the local computer, and then run a malicious program. This update addresses the vulnerability by correcting how .NET Framework enables COM objects.

===

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 3),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

Friday, July 20, 2018 9:31 AM
  • I have automatic updates on for Windows and Office so that is likely what happened. But turning off updates is not a good solution.

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Friday, July 20, 2018 10:55 AM
  • No-no-no. Not updates. Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Change User Account Control Settings. Set it to the default level.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 3),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

Friday, July 20, 2018 10:58 AM