Get sketch flow to customer and opening it RRS feed

• Question

• It may just be me but I am finding it difficult to figure out how to get a sketchflow to the customer for feedback.  I have the trial version and would like to test this feature out.  How do I get the sketch to the customer,  then how does the customer open it on there computer.  I know it has something to do with sketchflow player.  And if that is the solution how do they get sketchflow player?  Thanks for your help.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 9:18 PM

All replies

• Are you working on a WPF or Silverlight prototype?

Blend 3 is only required to author the prototype and incorporate shared feedback - it is not required to view the prototype or offer feedback.

If you are create a Silverlight prototype, upon building and testing the prototype, the output directory contains all the necessary content (mainly the .XAP file and the sample TestPage.html file that is used to preview the Silverlight XAP file in a browser) - you can deploy this content to a server just like any other Silverlight content. If you create a WPF prototype, the output directory should contain all the binaries that you will need to share with users to use the prototype.

Thanks,
    Unni
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 3:40 AM
  • What are the files to be sent to client for feedback if prototype is WPF Sketchflow?
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:32 AM
  • For WPF SketchFlow projects, your package output folder will contain an EXE that the customer runs, along with several supporting DLLs. The best thing to do is simply zip up the entire package directory and send that to the client. Then they simply unzip/expand the package and run the exe. No need to run any type of setup program.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:15 PM
  • To clarify: The SketchFlow player automatically is part of your prototype, rather than a part of Blend. Whenever you create a prototype project, the player is automatically included.

If your prototype is Silverlight, you can just place the prototype on a web site that can host Silverlight. This way, reviewers can just navigate to the URL of the place where you posted the app, and create feedback right there. For you to review the feedback, the reviewer needs to use the Export Feedback function in the player, and send the feedback back to the designer in Blend.
    All they need installed on their machine to run a Silverlight prototype is Silverlight 3, so this works on PCs and Macs.

If you don't have a website that hosts SL apps, you can also send a Silverlight prototype to a reviewer as a file archive.

If your prototype is WPF, you need to send the reviewer all the prototype files that Blend generates (just as in the SL case without a web site). In order to use and generate feedback for a WPF prototype, the customer need WPF 3.5 installed. 

The easiest way to get all the necessary files that make up a prototype is to go to the File menu and choose the "Package SketchFlow Project..." command. This command will build the prototype if it isn't and copy all the files you need into a directory of your choosing. Then you can either take the files and put them on a website (if your prototype is SL, and you have a website), or you can just zip them up and send them in another way (if you don't have a web site to host SL or if your prototype is WPF).

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:44 PM
  • Hello,

I understand how to package up the files by "Package SketchFlow Project" but in the demos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R7r02niqEw) there is a HTML file that is part of the packaged files and that is not part of my output. I only get the .exe file. Is this because I am using a trial version? Can I set this up so that I can package the HTML file as well?

Thanks in advance,

M

Monday, October 19, 2009 10:59 PM
  • You are getting the .exe because you are creating a WPF prototype (which creates a Windows only executable). If you were to create a Silverlight prototype, you will get the .html file.

There is no difference in functionality between the trial and full versions of Blend.

Thanks,
    Unni
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:47 AM
  • Thanks for your help Unni!

Okay so that then brings me to my next question - how do I create a Silverlight prototype?

:)
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:53 AM
  • You can do the following:

1. From Expression Blend menu, select File > New Project
    2. On the New Project dialog, select Silverlight on the Project types navigation panel
    3. Select Silverlight 3 SketchFlow Application on the right hand side
    4. Click OK after entering Name, Location and Language
    5. Create screens as if you are creating web pages
    6. Hit F5 to build and preview your prototype on your machine

Thanks,
    Ephraim.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:34 AM
  • Thanks David and Schormann.  I was wondering is there any light weight  WPF SF executable distrubution just like SL SF xap and html?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:39 AM