Performance of WebView vs. IE

Question

• I am on a performance team and we measure the page load time performance of our site in Internet Explorer 11. We are working on an app that has a WebView control that displays the same content as our site would in IE 11.  What should I expect the performance of page rendering in a WebView control as compared to rendering the same page in IE?  With a prototype app, I'm seeing the WebView render the page 200-300ms slower than IE.  Is that expected? (and Yes, when your page renders in IE at about 1200ms, 300ms is significant :-) )  I was told that the WebView uses the same engine as IE under the covers, but I haven't seen official word on that. Any info is appreciated.
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 3:05 PM

Answers

• It's the same codebase, but there are things which are specifically removed from the WebView, so obviously there's a fork in there.  I don't know why you would see a perf difference.  Can you honestly explain how 300ms makes a major difference in the app?  It sounds like you should be concentrating on other aspects of the page if it takes 1.2 seconds to render in IE, then come back to this later on.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, May 2, 2014 5:39 PM

All replies

• I am not sure that there are any expected performance metrics released for WebView vs. IE.  In addition, there aren't any tweaks to WebView that will increase the performance either. I don't know exactly what else to say about this.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:40 PM
  • WebView does have the same W3C Navigation Timing metrics that IE has, so we can use that to measure. That is what I am using currently to see that the WebView is slower.  Is WebView the exact same engine that IE uses? Or is it different or a fork of IE code?
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 8:13 PM
  • It's the same codebase, but there are things which are specifically removed from the WebView, so obviously there's a fork in there.  I don't know why you would see a perf difference.  Can you honestly explain how 300ms makes a major difference in the app?  It sounds like you should be concentrating on other aspects of the page if it takes 1.2 seconds to render in IE, then come back to this later on.

Friday, May 2, 2014 5:39 PM