View meta data items in Windows explorer RRS feed

• Question

• How to view metadata columns of a document library that I put in explorer view? It only displays generic columns. 
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:00 PM

Answers

• windows explorer can't display them.  Explorer view was really only in place as a kind of shim to bridge the gap until people get more used to SharePoint. Its slower to browse (arguable, I know, but WebDAV isn't great), doesn't have the capabilities to show all of the columns/checkout/start workflows/etc, allows you to corrupt things if you edit a folder/file which isn't just a piece of user content, and a few other drawbacks/limitations.

in 2013, they have added the ability to do bulk uploads without it, so its even less needed.  Many of the organizations I have been working with lately have started to block explorer view functionality as well.

Christopher Webb | Microsoft Certified Master: SharePoint 2010 | Microsoft Certified Solutions Master: SharePoint Charter | Microsoft Certified Trainer| http://christophermichaelwebb.com

• Marked as answer by Lindali Friday, August 15, 2014 2:40 AM
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:09 PM

All replies

• windows explorer can't display them.  Explorer view was really only in place as a kind of shim to bridge the gap until people get more used to SharePoint. Its slower to browse (arguable, I know, but WebDAV isn't great), doesn't have the capabilities to show all of the columns/checkout/start workflows/etc, allows you to corrupt things if you edit a folder/file which isn't just a piece of user content, and a few other drawbacks/limitations.

in 2013, they have added the ability to do bulk uploads without it, so its even less needed.  Many of the organizations I have been working with lately have started to block explorer view functionality as well.

Christopher Webb | Microsoft Certified Master: SharePoint 2010 | Microsoft Certified Solutions Master: SharePoint Charter | Microsoft Certified Trainer| http://christophermichaelwebb.com

• Marked as answer by Lindali Friday, August 15, 2014 2:40 AM
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:09 PM
  • Christopher,

It is entirely possible that Explorer View is slower. However, navigating folders, moving and renaming files is still much faster, as far fewer clicks are needed. The SharePoint 2013 interface can be quite cumbersome for those activities. Moreover, I also need multiple download, and that's still not possible. Example: I have created a library of templates, and users should be able to download 10 files that all relate to the same project type at the same time. How many clicks does that take?

Of course, you can now say that I can sync libraries in Office 365. Excellent, but of course it also displays the files in Windows Explorer... and we're back to the original question.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 11:19 PM